PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll building

JKetzer
02-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Take a kid who's very good at math but has only a month of experience at the Poker Stars nickel/dime. At the beginning of January, give him a $500 roll, Poker Tracker, and a few decent books (SSH, ITH, ToP). Send him on a brief bonus chase and start him off on the Party $1/$2 10-max with about a thousand bucks at the end of January.

No redeposits. No cashouts. The roll is to sustain itself. Move up at 300 BB, move back down if it drops below that.

The goal: $12,000 by December 31, allowing for regular $10/$20 and $15/$30 with a small cushion. If this goal can be attained, then this is to be a source of income through college -- not an independent one, though.

Feasible, or pipe dream?

emonrad87
02-22-2005, 02:05 AM
That's frickin easy.

steaknshake925
02-22-2005, 02:53 AM
definitely doable

Kaz The Original
02-22-2005, 03:13 AM
It is possible. To those who say it is easy, I say poker is a hard game, there is nothing "easy" about it. But it can be done.

Shoe
02-22-2005, 04:54 AM
It's possible, but definitely not achievable by everyone. I think you will find that your plan sounds much easier than it will actually turn out to be, for the vast majority of people.

jdl22
02-22-2005, 05:00 AM
One oft overlooked factor is cashing out. If you don't cash out at all it's not easy but not hard. Cashing out some money and having to rebuild will be a problem because it slows your growth since you can't move up as quickly.

TStoneMBD
02-22-2005, 06:29 AM
this goal is not really attainable at a 1/2 table. you are going to have to move up to 3/6 and 5/10 4tabling. reaching your goal isnt difficult at all for an experienced player, but for a player who just learned the game i find it unlikely that you will reach your goal, but with dedication along with a propensity to move up in limits quickly, you can make that much money in a month.

Lawrence Ng
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Provided the kid does not have to take money from the bankroll for his own expenses and what not, this is very acheivable goal.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
02-22-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is possible. To those who say it is easy, I say poker is a hard game, there is nothing "easy" about it. But it can be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaz, if this kid started in the $25 NL game, he'd build it up to $12k by August.

Lawrence

Chickenfly69
02-22-2005, 08:40 AM
I agree, I recommend NL 25 tables, with those your bankroll could double within a week if playing 4 tables, watch out though - a lot of volatility at partypoker. I am around 9 grand now and have been playing solely party NL25 for the past 6 months, so 12 grand is definately doable. Good Luck at the tables.
~Chickenfly69

meow_meow
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Totally aggree that this is doable.
Only thing is 12k is a bit light for the swings you'll experience at 15-30

JKetzer
02-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah, it's mostly just a goal of "have a roll big enough to play at a level where I can have an ok hourly income." More accurately, it's a goal of "learn the game and also make a chunk of money."

JKetzer
02-23-2005, 07:09 AM
I haven't really put much thought into NL - I've tried a few SnG's and MTT's just for fun, but that's about it. I played some $25 Party NL today though just to see what it's like, and I did okay.

So it sounds like you would suggest that there's more (easier?) money to be made at the $25 NL than at the full-ring limit games? Right now I'm just playing 1/2 10-max at Party (and, over 8000 hands so far, getting beat up) until I've got ~$1.2k for 2/4. Seems like the NL game would introduce a lot more variance.

Bluffoon
02-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I think this is not the proper approach. It is results orientated.

If you have what it takes (a not so common combination of abilities,temperment and maturity), study hard and smart, you will do a lot better than this. If you are lacking in any of these areas you will fail.

Focus on your skills and the money side will take care of itself.

steaknshake925
02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
If your goal is to eventually play and beat 15-30, then of course you'll want to play limit so you can work on ur limit game. If your goal is to make 10k, then it's better to play NL because at the lower stakes the money is a LOT easier and better at NL than limit, and there is actually far less variance in NL. Either way, bonus whoring will be a huge part of your plan.

maldini
02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your goal is to eventually play and beat 15-30, then of course you'll want to play limit so you can work on ur limit game. If your goal is to make 10k, then it's better to play NL because at the lower stakes the money is a LOT easier and better at NL than limit, and there is actually far less variance in NL. Either way, bonus whoring will be a huge part of your plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true, why does anyone play limit? seems that most posters that are playing poker for a living play limit. so, they prefer higher variance and less income?

AncientPC
02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
There's less variance at limit. My SD/100 at NL is ~45BB.

The money dries up as you move up in NL, there's that border where the LAGs and calling stations disappear and you're stuck trying to win money from tricky players.

That border is much higher on the limit tables.

mr pink
02-24-2005, 03:04 PM
4 tabling 5/10 making 1BB/100 is 40/hr - ok hourly income?

maldini
02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
seems that rakeback is a bigger issue with limit players too. not sure i understand that though. is that b/c the stakes are much higher relative to the winrate?

also, it seems that limit players play more tables at once. is this true? if so why? i guess you have easier decisions but seems that in limit you'd be making more decision per hand and trying to figure out what all of these bets and raises by other players mean. not a real issue in NL.

AncientPC
02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Average pot sizes are higher in limit than NL, therefore more rake is collected on average as well.