PDA

View Full Version : Seeing where you're at during a session

emonrad87
02-22-2005, 01:29 AM
During a session, I like to use the cashier window or PT to watch how I'm doing. A friend of mine (who plays a lot more and higher than me (and posts here occasionally)) says that's a bad idea, cuz it will make it more likely to play less than optimally. Do you like to look at your results or do you just look at the end?

pfkaok
02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
only reason it'd be good to check is if you're under-rolled or taking a shot, so you can see if you drop whatever amount you set out for yourself. IMO checking won't really hurt you much (shouldn't), but if you feel the need to check midsession, then it seems like other psychological leaks could stem from that in your game.

Emmitt2222
02-22-2005, 02:14 AM
I liked to do it when I was at the lower limits, but now that I'm at 2/4 I'm just cutting myself off from doing it because I really do think it effects my game when I see a couple hundred dollars up or down. My brain can't comprehend yet that when I am down 100 in a session that isnt actually that bad and I can make it back in a few hands.

fearme
02-22-2005, 02:34 AM
i always check, but sometimes i think its bettter not to, like when ur down a massive amount, it might make u more on tilt

captZEEbo1
02-22-2005, 02:52 AM
I think it's a good idea. Sometimes I am not aware if I'm on tilt or not. If I go on notice myself dropping like 500 bucks or so in an hour, I have to conciously reevaluate my state of mind and will likely take a break. If I don't check to see how I'm doing, I will probably play for too long past my peak performance.

dealer_toe
02-22-2005, 03:01 AM
I've actually put black tape over my total during sessions before so I don't peak. I am finding myself peaking at my total now, as I'm going through a downswing. I don't like it because if I feel I'm playing well, then realize I am actually down X amount of BB's, I am a little likely to tilt from that.

pfkaok
02-22-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a good idea. Sometimes I am not aware if I'm on tilt or not. If I go on notice myself dropping like 500 bucks or so in an hour,

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you be able to evaluate your level of play by the plays you make, not the amount you've won/lost? if you're finding yourself unsure/confused often, or angry, then its probably time to stop... if you're down a lot but aren't tilting, why does it help to know that you're down a lot?

jtr
02-22-2005, 09:52 AM
When I started out, I used to check the cashier total about every three hands. Over the months I've consciously made an effort not to do this. I can now say, hand on heart, that I only look at the total when making notes at the end of the session. I think this has been much better for my game -- it forces you to think about how you've been playing in terms of whether you're making the right choices and not in terms of whether you happen to be winning or losing particular hands.

RED_RAIN
02-22-2005, 03:55 PM
My friend plays 30/60-50/100 and he checks every freaking 10 hands it seems.

I play 5/10-15/30 and I check maybe 2-4 times a hour.

We had this debate once.

My argument was I don't like to know to have it have any affect on my game.

For him, he said he liked to know, because if he was up, it made him feel better, and when he was down, he knew to start looking if he was playing bad or what was up.

Bluffoon
02-22-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a good idea. Sometimes I am not aware if I'm on tilt or not. If I go on notice myself dropping like 500 bucks or so in an hour,

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you be able to evaluate your level of play by the plays you make, not the amount you've won/lost? if you're finding yourself unsure/confused often, or angry, then its probably time to stop... if you're down a lot but aren't tilting, why does it help to know that you're down a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am getting hammered I usually quit even if I feel ok about my play. Maybe I am not playing as well as I think I am. Maybe my opponents are better than I think they are. Maybe I am being cheated (don't tell me it doesn't happen). In any event I'd rather be safe than sorry. Take a break and take a look at my play. Rreview some hands. Go to the gym, get a bite to eat and come back later and try again.