PDA

View Full Version : Million Dollar Baby

Sponger15SB
02-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Incredible Movie. I don't remember the last time I felt so moved by a film.

(has this been discussed before? seems like it should have)

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Women's boxing grosses me out for some reason.

Sponger15SB
02-21-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Women's boxing grosses me out for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason is that you're not used to seeing huge women with massive, gaping cuts on their face beating the [censored] out of each other.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 10:26 PM
I thought it sucked. Possibly because I had no feelings one way or another on the controversial topic. I know it wasn't supposed to be a 'boxing' movie, but I was underwhelmed anyways by just about all the boxing sequences.

Hilary Swank's family was not exactly believable in their cruelty. Also, I know some of the best movies have lots of questions left... but this movie takes the cake. The amount of things you never find out about, and their pertinence to the story, are frustrating. I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

EDIT: Sucked is too strong a word. It was more like it underachieved more than most movies I have seen, plus Eastwood is probably my favorite all time director.

WillMagic
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it got discussed. But there's no harm in discussing it more /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Again, folks, if you haven't seen this, you really need to check it out.

Will

Sponger15SB
02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this was one of the biggest problems of the movie. They really did not explain what happened between them at all.

02-21-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it sucked. Possibly because I had no feelings one way or another on the controversial topic. I know it wasn't supposed to be a 'boxing' movie, but I was underwhelmed anyways by just about all the boxing sequences.

Hilary Swank's family was not exactly believable in their cruelty. Also, I know some of the best movies have lots of questions left... but this movie takes the cake. The amount of things you never find out about, and their pertinence to the story, are frustrating. I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

EDIT: Sucked is too strong a word. It was more like it underachieved more than most movies I have seen, plus Eastwood is probably my favorite all time director.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your comments. It was a good movie, not a great movie. Everyone is so willing to overlook this movie's numerous flaws. What really bothered me, in addition to her family being a caricature was not the boxing itself but the fan/crowd reactions during the boxing. If you have ever watched a single fight on TV, you'd see the crowd's cheering and reactions were utterly ridiculous. I wonder if anyone else picked up on this.

WillMagic
02-21-2005, 10:37 PM
a) The long-lost daughter is part of Eastwood's character. It helps provide a context for his actions in the rest of the film.

b) It's a lot more true-to-life when the long-lost daughter doesn't show up to jazz up the third act.

Will

theBruiser500
02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
psshreck what the hell are you talking about? your "analysis" of this movie illustrates your stupidity and complete lack of understanding of this movie

pshreck
02-21-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
psshreck what the hell are you talking about? your "analysis" of this movie illustrates your stupidity and complete lack of understanding of this movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not gonna get in a flame war bud, but just look at the posts, some people agreed with parts of my analysis. This is my opinion, dont get all pissed about it. I accept that many others thought it was a great movie, and I also think they are not wrong. Just a matter of taste.

TimTimSalabim
02-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I agree that the family was over-the-top. I even chuckled a bit at the absurdity of putting the pen in her mouth. However, it is important to establish that she has nothing to live for in regards to them. Overall, I found the film to be very moving. I still get teary-eyed when I think about the scene with Clint Eastwood's character telling her what her name meant. It's a definite thumbs-up for me.

02-21-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the family was over-the-top. I even chuckled a bit at the absurdity of putting the pen in her mouth. However, it is important to establish that she has nothing to live for in regards to them. Overall, I found the film to be very moving. I still get teary-eyed when I think about the scene with Clint Eastwood's character telling her what her name meant. It's a definite thumbs-up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me make sure I'm not confusing two different things. I think it's a thumbs up as well. It was a good movie. Well worth the $8.50 I paid. But to say it is the best picture of the year, I don't agree. I thought Sideways kicked ass.

astroglide
02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
when i saw it the theater had a speaker fuckup which was buzzing randomly for extended intervals during the last hour of the movie. i wasn't wowed by it but i don't know how much that hurt things.

theBruiser500
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
astroglide i think you have good taste so the theatre ruined it for you, sorry

Homer
02-21-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this was one of the biggest problems of the movie. They really did not explain what happened between them at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this made the movie better.

Nottom
02-22-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this made the movie better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same.

I saw this movie knowing basically nothing about it other than it was supposed to be good and was about a chick who boxed. I thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while, but I haven't seen any of the other big oscar movies from this year so can't really compare.

BeerMoney
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
If you had to explain to someone what this move is about, what would you say?

fsuplayer
03-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I thought it was awesome.

I liked it better than Sideways, but it was very close.

both awesome movies.

Sporky
03-24-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think i could put it above sideways. i really enjoyed that movie. both were very good and hard to compare in my opinion. sideways is ahead of the race though for me. i thought million dollar baby was great, but it was one of those movies that i'll probably watch once and then the magic is gone. sort of like 6th sense. sideways i could enjoy many times.

fsuplayer
03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think i could put it above sideways. i really enjoyed that movie. both were very good and hard to compare in my opinion. sideways is ahead of the race though for me. i thought million dollar baby was great, but it was one of those movies that i'll probably watch once and then the magic is gone. sort of like 6th sense. sideways i could enjoy many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. i would rather watch sideways again as well, but I guess i was rating on how much MDB moved me after watching it. but I would buy sideways, prob. not MDB. so whatever that means...

sublime
03-24-2005, 12:42 PM
If you had to explain to someone what this move is about, what would you say?

life

partygirluk
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
This was much better than Sideways (which was pretty good)

morgan180
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
great avatar!

CheckFold
03-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Overall it was a good movie, but some of the flaws really bothered me, especially since they were so unnecessary.
-Like others have said, the family was completely unbelievable in their heartlessness.
-The mother was also not close to 312 lbs as described. Maybe 212 lbs. This is not a big deal, but why claim she is 312 lbs and then get someone 100 lbs less than that to play her role?
-The whole idea that he wouldn't tell her what ma coushla meant and she didn't bother to figure it out until the second before she died was completely unbelievable as well, and took away from the drama for me.
-The fight scene, where that champion girl gets away with those repeated ridiculous cheap shots like it was a fake wrestling match or something. She would have been DQ'ed on the first elbow.
-If she wanted to die, and needed a respirator to breath, she can have it turned off. It's her right to refuse medical treatment. She didn't require assisted suicide.
-That retarded kid who wanted to fight Tommy Hearns. Served some kind of symbolic nature, but yet another spot where I find myself rolling my eyes and saying "yeahhhh right".

Dominic
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened between Eastwood and his daughter is not relevant to the story. They had a falling out - period. What's more important is the Hilary Swank charachter gives him a shot at redeeming himself and his failings.

But if you really need a reason, it's there. Although it's not completely spelled out, you can pretty much gather that Eastwood abandoned her and her mother sometime in the past and he's trying to atone for that.

PhatTBoll
03-24-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fight scene, where that champion girl gets away with those repeated ridiculous cheap shots like it was a fake wrestling match or something. She would have been DQ'ed on the first elbow

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the hardest part for me to swallow. Especially since the fact that she "lost" the fight is something her mother uses to shame her while trying to con her into signing the document. If this kind of thing happened in any kind of sanctioned fight, I guarantee you that chick would not have been declared the winner.

But I think it says something about Eastwood's ability as a director that a movie with so many inconsistencies can be so engaging and moving.

youngin20
03-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Ok, first, the point of the retarded guy was to point out it takes more than guts to box, but also, Morgan freeman gets to knock the sh!t out of that guy, which was sweet. Second, the family was not cartoonishly cruel. That [censored] happens. Some people dont take into account the fact that terrible people can have children.

istewart
03-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I loved it. When she breaks her nose I got squeamish for some reason though, and I usually can take that stuff /images/graemlins/smile.gif