PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica + Online Texas Holdem

stratus
02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey i was considering moving to costa rica and playing holdem online to pay the bills.
Questions are:

Has anyone done this? What was/is their experiance with it?

Does anyone know about high speed internet in costa rica? I'd need a reliable connection with good pings... And id like it near a beach i can go surfing? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

If anyone has done anything similar to this, and lived in a cheap, beautiful place thats safe and near warm water surfing let me know where you are staying and how it is working out!

thanks!

keikiwai
02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I lived in Costa Rica for about 2 years. You should research exactly where you're going to live to determine cable availability. Much of San Jose (the capitol) has cable, but it varies from neighborhood to neigborhood.

For example, I lived up in Sabanilla (near the University of Costa Rica). Two block away from us there was cable modem available, but would you know it, there was none where we were, so I had to make do with dial up...

Another thing to watch out for is when you're ready to leave. To get either dial up or cable modem you ofcourse need to put down a deposit. You theoretically get this back when you close your account. Well, two weeks before leaving Costa Rica I closed my internet account and asked for my money back. First they told me I had to go to some random office downtown and ask for it there, and anyway I wouldn't get it right away, it would take 3 to 4 weeks, and I had to fill out such and such forms, and blah blah blah. I never did end up getting my money back.

I believe the name of the internet company in Costa Rica is Racsa. It's state owned I think.

Good luck! By the way, I would suggest moving to Guanacaste (north western Costa Rica) if you can find cable modem there. Good diving, surfing, hiking, rafting, and fun people.

Peter.

edfurlong
02-22-2005, 05:45 AM
I've been thinking about heading over to costa rica for a couple months. I'd also like to hear what anyone has to say about it. I know I've seen at least one person living there that posts here, can't remember who though.