PDA

View Full Version : "You're no good at this game!"

Abe
09-07-2002, 07:43 PM
It's funny how people can have completely different perceptions of what is going on at a hold 'em table.

Tunica Horseshoe opens up a third 10-20 game at 11pm Saturday on a holiday weekend. Main game is full of grumpy old guys---but this game should be good. Shows are over, dinner is over, dealers are getting off duty, the room is packed, band is playing, people are drinking, 20-40 players are whooping it up. I love this town!

A young guy comes to the table (with his young wife) and sits next to me. Looks like she has never seen this game before, and seems a little scared of it. He wants her to watch. I try to be nice and say to get a chair and sit right there and watch him. He puts rack of red on table and waits for big blind. She asks him how much the chips are worth. He tells her $5. She asks, "Each?" Seems a little concerned. He sees the rack of red---she sees a washer/dryer, maybe a vacation on the beach.

The blind comes to him and he throws 2 chips in. She asks why and he explains. Gets raised and called. He calls, throwing 2 more chips in. Flop comes with A and it gets bet. He folds. Next hand he puts in a chip and has to explain again. Limpers back to him so he completes. Flop comes paired, people bet and he folds. Next hand he is the button, couple of limpers and he calls. Don't remember flop but its a bet to him and he folds.

Wife has been watching him put all those $5 s in the pot and not win anything for 3 hands now says, "Honey, I don't think you are any good at this game. Lets go."

J_V
09-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Funny story. I'd hate to have to be that guy being sweated. It'd be tough to make a semi-bluff knowing your kid's food money is riding on it.

mikelow
09-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Well I'm no good at poker, too.

BTW, I will only be posting in this section and in the other games section only.

I simply can't play. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
Great post.

mike l.
09-08-2002, 04:29 PM
i think i have my wife pretty well trained. the one time i took her i played 10-20 and lost $600. on the way out she said "oh well at least you played well".

Vehn
09-08-2002, 06:31 PM
My normal post-poker conversation with my GF:

"I won x"

"What are you buying me?"

OR

"I lost x"

"Oh."

andyfox
09-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Once, and once only, my wife watched me play craps. Pass line bet, roll is a 6, I take odds and make a come bet, roll is an 8, I take odds, 7 out. Pass line bet, roll is a 5, I take odds and make a come bet, roll is a 9, I take odds, 7 out. Pass line bet, next 2 rolls are a 3 and a 12.

At this point, my wife whispers in my ear, "Don't play this game," and walks away.

Good advice.

09-13-2002, 02:38 PM
My girlfriend is just the opposite. I work from home, and in the dull momements, I'll play a few hands on Paradise. I've done well over the last year, so my girlfriend will call me during the day and ask if I'm playing! If I'm not, she reminds me that I need to win her some more money, and I should get back in the game... lol.

Fitz