PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Information

Sully
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Just got an Ipod a few months ago, and am wondering if anyone can give me some tips...

1. Can I hook up my Ipod to a firend's Itunes and add his songs to my Ipod?
2. Can I upload from my Ipod to my computer, or is it download only?
3. Any cheaper ways of buying music? I've bought a cd or two through Itunes, and think it's a pretty fair deal, but I can see how it could get REAL expensive.

Also, please feel free to add anything you have learned outside of these questions.....Any tips of the trade would be greatly appreciated.

kenberman
02-21-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I hook up my Ipod to a firend's Itunes and add his songs to my Ipod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not without jumping through hoops.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I upload from my Ipod to my computer, or is it download only?

[/ QUOTE ]

both ways

[ QUOTE ]
Any cheaper ways of buying music? I've bought a cd or two through Itunes, and think it's a pretty fair deal, but I can see how it could get REAL expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

all of Mp3 (www.allofmp3.com) is a Russian site that is pretty cheap. dubious legality, decent quality.

htc1278
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
As far as I can tell with my ipod it is tied to my itunes playlist. When I delete a song from itunes it deletes it from my ipod. If you plug your ipod into a friend's computer I believe that it will delete everything from your itunes and add everything from his. There might be a way around this that I don't know about (my brother used his ipod like a flashcard and stored photos from his trip to China on it but I don't know how he did it). I assume that you can upload from your ipod to your computer (he uploaded his photos to his computer) but again, I don't know how. You can download music from one of the "free" sites, import them to your itunes and that will save money.

-Syk-
02-21-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it will delete everything from your itunes and add everything from his.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but it still shows everything on your own iPod. You can delete what's on the iPod already and add files from your computer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
What an wondrously quirky little unit this iPod is.

Munkster
02-21-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought an iaudio because of you so it better live up to its hype.

Man I feel like a lemming.

jason_t
02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Can I hook up my Ipod to a firend's Itunes and add his songs to my Ipod?
2. Can I upload from my Ipod to my computer, or is it download only?
3. Any cheaper ways of buying music? I've bought a cd or two through Itunes, and think it's a pretty fair deal, but I can see how it could get REAL expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. yes.
2. yes, with a program called ephpod. google for it.
3. used CD stores, man.

jason_t
02-21-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell with my ipod it is tied to my itunes playlist. When I delete a song from itunes it deletes it from my ipod. If you plug your ipod into a friend's computer I believe that it will delete everything from your itunes and add everything from his. There might be a way around this that I don't know about....

[/ QUOTE ]

turn off autosync.

Ponks
02-21-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought an iaudio because of you so it better live up to its hype.

Man I feel like a lemming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about buying one, but I don't really like the headphone unit. How is that little display thing that hangs halfway down? Do you have to use that? Also can I just use other headphones? Is there a display on the actual unit to see what songs you're scrolling through?

Thanks
Ponks

jason_t
02-21-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I upload from my Ipod to my computer, or is it download only?

[/ QUOTE ]

both ways

[/ QUOTE ]

You need special software for this.

Sully
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morally wrong, or technologically wrong?

jason_t
02-21-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morally wrong, or technologically wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Technologically.

Weebl
02-21-2005, 08:51 PM
You can share music with your ipod very easily. Checkout the forum on ipodlounge.com

There are two freeware programs that seem to work reasonalbly well: ipodrip (MAC) and sharepod (PC)

You will have to enable disk mode as well.

chrisdhal
02-22-2005, 10:28 AM
My favorite is myTunes Redux (http://minimalverbosity.com/). It's great if you have 2 (or more) computers on the same network and are both sharing your music. This thing will download whatever you want into your iTunes, which of course you synch with your iPod. Very slick.