PDA

View Full Version : Looking to pay someone to design a website for me

ZeeJustin
02-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Half a year ago I started to design a website, and realized that even with the help of dreamweaver, I'm too incompetent to do it myself. Here is the stuff that I would like on the website:

Intro: My name is Justin Bonomo. I'm 19 years old, and I'm a professional poker player from Washington Dc. (insert pic of me at the table)
Blog (One that I'll add to several times every week, and maybe even more often during tourneys)
Articles (I'll write a few strategy articles, one about rakeback, bankroll management, and I'll try to get an article from Dave Williams, Noah Boeken, Jennicide, and other "poker celebs" im friendly with)
A biography of me
Site and/or book reviews (along w/ banners and amazon affiliate links)
A forum (Eventually when the site gets some decent traffic, but not right away)
Photo Gallery (I have some nice pics from Aruba, Atlantis, and the EPTs)

As a frame of referance, I think Daniel Negreanu's site is perfect in just about every way.

If you can help me out, please email me at ZeeJustin@cox.net . Sending a quick "sketch" of the layout you have in mind for the site would be very helpful. I'm not sure what exacly is fair payment, I guess it will depend on the final quality, but I won't be stingy. Also, I would like to get most of it up and running before I leave for EPT Vienna (second week of March).

If you are interested in reading my website, check out the 2+2 classified adds in a couple of weeks. I will buy one when the site is in readable condition.
-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo

(PS, sorry for the spam, but I'm hoping since I will buy a classified add that the moderators will be ok with this.)

guitarhero14
02-21-2005, 10:34 PM
kinda off topic: you are 19 and a pro poker player? Do you plan on doing this the rest of your life? or is this just your means of cash at the moment?

Sifmole
02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Zee,

I'll start out with, "I don't have time to do a website right now, at any rate you would want to pay"....

But I would seriously rethink Dan N's site as a target for excellence. The front page is really fairly atrocious on a number of measures:

There is no information on the front page that can be read beyond 3 sentences without trying to use one of the 6 scrollbars. The use of all these scrollbars is especially bad because it prevents users from making use of their scrollwheels ( very standard now-a-days ) as well as they cause issues for non-IE browsers ( like Firefox ).

The sheer number of different elements on the page makes it very confusing to read; as well, people read from upper left to lower right -- and the "core" content is presented at the upper right and lower right, bad placement really.

The contrast of print vs. background could be much improved to make it more readable.

The pointless flash element at middle left.

And I will finish with my personal pet-peeve: every friggin link creates a new friggin pop-up window! Geez-louise! If I want another window I'll make another window!

So -- do yourself and your readers a favor, bow to simplicity and easy navigation your readers will thank you ( and I want to go there and read your stuff and will hate having to deal with it, if it is like Dan N's. )

Sorry for the rant if it doesn't help.