PDA

View Full Version : A2

foldingmachine
02-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Do you call a preflop raise with any A2 combination? If there is a lot of preflop raising and I'm holding A297 rainbow, I routinely fold. Is this too weak tight? If the hand is suited or has other possibilities, I'll see a flop. I just didn't think A2 by itself was that strong when it had nothing else working with it. The game I routinely is rather passive, any pre flop raising usually indicates AAxx, or A2 suited. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

Moneyline
02-21-2005, 07:08 PM
There are some A2xx hands that I will muck for 1 bet in EP in a tight game... like A222 rainbow, and many more that I will muck for a raise. That said, I'd still play a hand like Ah Qs 7s 2c. I may be wrong in doing this, but that's how I play them...

donkeyradish
02-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I think there is much merit in what you describe, for a PL game. Not all A2 hands are good enough to put a lot of $ in to see a showdown.

But in a low-limit game I never fold A2 preflop, and the way I see it this situation doesn't occur frequently enough for me to worry if I'm wrong.

djr
02-21-2005, 07:28 PM
If you're fairly sure the raise indicates another A2 out there, I'd be tempted to dump the A279 rainbow since there's very little high potential (this doesn't contradict what I said in the other thread about starting hands, there I was assuming you're not facing a raise). BUT, it depends on position and how many opponents you're facing. If you can count on a lot of people seeing the flop I'd probably go for it.

lighterjobs
02-21-2005, 08:55 PM
i normally wouldn't see a flop with one raise when i'm holding a hand like A297 rainbow unless i was defending my blind. this hand has virtually no scoop potential.

02-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I think it depends on (1) your position and (2) how many people see the flop, if you have late or even middle position. I don't think you can answer the question generally other than to say that yes there are times that I would fold a naked A-2 in a limit game but they are infrequent. Off the top of my head, they would be (a) early position at a tight table and (b) where I know that there are few other callers.

Buzz
02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you call a preflop raise with any A2 combination?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on who is doing the raising and what I think the motive for the raise is.

However, in general, yes.

Let me make it clear that I don't like looking down and seeing A279 rainbow or A289 rainbow. And A278 rainbow seems even worse (although it simulates better).

But in a loose ring game I want to see the flop with any of those hands, and then go from there.

I can't imagine playing in a tight ring game. (Why would anyone but a masochist want to do that?) In a tournament, I wouldn't always play A279-rainbow, or even some better hands than that (depending) - but in a loose ring game, yes, I'm going to want to see the flop.

Some opponents raise before the flop with all kinds of crap. No guarantee the raise is from A2XX, although sometimes you can be reasonably certain a raise by some opponents is A2XX. However, there's always a danger of getting quartered or sixthed with A2XX anyhow, pre-flop raise or no.

[ QUOTE ]
I just didn't think A2 by itself was that strong when it had nothing else working with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
The game I routinely is rather passive, any pre flop raising usually indicates AAxx, or A2 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you start looking at how the various individuals in your game play. I doubt they all play the same. You need to play each individual as much or more than you need to play the whole table. If you "know" that an opponent has A2XX, even if you also have A2XX, you have an advantage. You may want to get out before the flop, and sometimes that's wise, but you also might sometimes turn your knowledge to your advantage at some later betting round.

Usually a raise from early position would indicate AAXX more than A2XX, while a raise from late position or the blinds would indicate A2XX more than AAXX - but some opponents will cross you up - either because they are trying to be tricky or because they are purely stupid.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

AKQJ10
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are some A2xx hands that I will muck for 1 bet in EP in a tight game... like A222 rainbow, and many more that I will muck for a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a digression, but wouldn't this be one rare case where "trips in hand" could be a benefit? The deuce in your typical A2 hand isn't very useful for a high hand anyway, except for making a wheel. If two extra deuces are visible, that makes it less likely that your A2 will get counterfeited.

Granted, there's good reason not to play for half/a quarter of the pot. I'm not saying A222r is a good hand, just that it could be better than A279r.

lighterjobs
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on (1) your position and (2) how many people see the flop, if you have late or even middle position. I don't think you can answer the question generally other than to say that yes there are times that I would fold a naked A-2 in a limit game but they are infrequent. Off the top of my head, they would be (a) early position at a tight table and (b) where I know that there are few other callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, i guess i should have thrown that in there. ie: if i'm right in front of the raiser and i limped and everyone folded around to me, i would definately call. i don't play online so i usually don't have the chance to play any loose o/8 tables. i'm always playing at a tight b&m table, so i'm usually scared out of the pot when there is a raise.

chaos
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM
You have to consider the player who raised. If he is a rock who will only raise with a strong A2 type hand, like AA2 or A23, it may be better to fold.

Unlike A3 I will call most raises with most A2xx hands. I may consider folding if both of the xx are either 7s, 8s or 9s.