PDA

View Full Version : Queens on first levels.

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I vote FOLD because I think queens are tricky and I might miss stealing chances later on ( by being eliminated) why risk elimination when we can wait for 6 players to be left.

nebben
02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't understand how you can fold QQ in a raised pot at low buyins. How low are we talking here? Like 30+3 or something maybe.... but 10+1 UTG raises can mean anything from j8 sooted to A4 to AA, but the range of hands that the players are willing to play makes it worthwile to push and double up, or raise and see a flop. Doesn't it? Plus, normal stealing doesnt seem like it will compensate for the money tyou could have won (unless were talkign past level 3.
or 4)

Am I way off base?

Seadood228
02-21-2005, 06:52 PM
When you are up against poor players, it sort of handcuffs you early in a tourney, but IMO that doesn't mean you can always fold queens. I don't see any fault in coldcalling and seeing how the hand plays from there. If you are up against AK or a big ace, a cold call maximizes your flop equity because he'll only hit 1/3 of the time (assuming he has AK).

Hopefully you'll be able to deduce whether or not he's got you beat on a ragged flop, but this can be a little difficult at the $10 level.

microbet
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but 10+1 UTG raises can mean anything from j8 sooted to A4 to AA

[/ QUOTE ]

In half the posts people are idiots because they are playing bad cards this way in the $11's and in the other half they are geniuses because they play bad cards this way in the Step 5's.

And, oh yeah, the question in the post. I will certainly play QQ early unless there is something like raise and reraise allin. Depends on the action whether I call or reraise myself.

Bigwig
02-21-2005, 07:05 PM
There are times when I'm folding Q's early in tourneys. These times include insane action preflop. A default 'always fold Q's in the early levels' stance is horrible poker. Horrible.

stupidsucker
02-21-2005, 07:43 PM
good general rule IMO for QQ is

Dont be too strong, dont be too weak.

You need to raise with them and thin the field.

BUT Calling all in preflop is a mistake unless you are commited against a smaller all in. (even now be careful on what your view of commited is)

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
In sklansky tourney system ure supposed to fold queens on a raised pot so its not HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE..from now on I will play QQ on EP on a raised pot( not JJ) Ill tell here how that went.

The once and future king
02-21-2005, 09:06 PM
I dont think Slansky had low buy in SNG's in mind when writing
TPFAP.

Table texture is everything. At low buy ins even with a raise and a reraise all in is likely you are still ahead.

In the games Slanksy is talking about this is far less likely.

DyessMan89
02-21-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In sklansky tourney system ure supposed to fold queens on a raised pot so its not HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE..from now on I will play QQ on EP on a raised pot( not JJ) Ill tell here how that went.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont remember him saying this. I know he talks about the Gap Concept -- the fact that you need a stronger hand to call a raise then to raise itself. However, your hand is strong enough to take a flop and see what happens, especially in the early stages.

adanthar
02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Who the hell voted fold? Does the OP get a vote or did someone else do that?

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 09:38 PM
hehe i did...but hey we all once called a raise with A6 on a full table.