PDA

View Full Version : A Monster

jason_t
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
blumpkin22 and I met up and drove to Las Vegas this weekend to play against the LP-Ps at The Palms (and stare at Summer, the most beautiful cocktail waitress on the planet). The following hand involved the two of us but we don't agree on the best way for him to have played the hand to extract the maximum.

The table was a dream table. Everyone at the table was loose and passive, with six or seven to a flop every hand. If blumpkin22 or I raised preflop from early position, there would be on average three or four cold callers (in one hand, blumpkin22 raised in UTG+1 and I 3-bet in UTG+2 and seven players saw the flop!); if someone else raised preflop there might be only one or two cold callers. Postflop, five or six would see the turn, three or four the river, and two or three would showdown. The postflop play was passive and predictible.

In this hand, I have the Button, but we are analyzing the play from blumpkin22's perspective so I will not reveal my hole cards (what are they?)

Given the range of hands I could be holding, and the texture of the table, could blumpkin22 have extracted more from this hand? Did he take a big risk missing bets by waiting until the turn to raise?

The Palms 2/4 Hold'em (10 players)

Preflop: blumpkin22 is CO with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, blumpkin22 calls, <font color="red">jason_t raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, blumpkin22 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, blumpkin22 calls, <font color="red">jason_t raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, blumpkin22 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, blumpkin22 checks, <font color="red">jason_t bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="red">blumpkin22 raises</font>, jason_t calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

River: (23 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">blumpkin22 bets</font>, jason_t calls, <font color="red">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="red">blumpkin22 3-bets</font>, jason_t folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 33 BB

pokerkai
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
You could have easily had a straight or flush draw on that board and he should know what you are capable of making a free card play in a big pot against passives. Checking the turn IMO is a monster gamble for little payoff. I think if he just pumped his hand from the beginning he woulda made as much or more. my experience with most live players in this sort of game is once theyve called one bet on the flop, their hooked for everything.

pokerkai
02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
ill put you on AQs

jason_t
02-21-2005, 08:18 PM
If blumpkin22 thinks it is likely that I am holding a flush draw, would it be correct to 3-bet the flop hoping I'll cap a flush draw for value, and then attempt a checkraise on the turn since I would be betting a flush draw for value on the turn, too? Or is this too fancy?