PDA

View Full Version : should i have folded?

@bsolute_luck
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Deal to me: J10s. i'm the button with a loose table of 7. it has been raised to me. i folded. should i have played?

Siingo
02-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Who raised?

How many had coldcalled and how many have limped?

Is it likley that SB will call or maybe raise?

How good are you at postflop play?

guitarhero14
02-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Do you have an actual hand history? What you have given is too little information.

afk
02-22-2005, 05:44 AM
We don't even know if this is limit, no-limit, pot-limit or anything. the stakes would really help too.

@bsolute_luck
02-22-2005, 11:31 AM
okay okay, this was my first "hand" posting and i see i have forgotten some things /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

umm...it was limit .25/.5. no hand history. unfortunately i can't remember who exactly raised but it was 2 bet- by someone in a MP and called around to me. i'm a little too new to really be able to guess if the SB would have called, but by general loose play at the table, i'd have to say very good chance.

SheridanCat
02-22-2005, 12:15 PM
While the things people in this thread have asked to know are relevant, I would call here with JTs in almost any situation. You have 7 players already in, the small blind will likely complete and the big blind will likely check. If the SB didn't call, I would have eaten my hat.

This hand versus a bunch of randoms wins more than it's fair share. And, if you hit a good hand, you're in great shape to win a lot of bets: lots of loose callers, an MP player with something they like enough to raise with and position.

Regards,

T

Beginner's Poker FAQ (http://www.pokergeek.com/faq/beginners_faq.html)

Siingo
02-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I think I would have called too if there was many players in the pot. You have preaty good potodds then and you also have great implied odds with many loose players (implied mean that there will probably get a lot more money in to the pot at flop, turn and river if you hit your hand). JTs is a good hand in a multiway pot..

Have fun!

smoore
02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't like cold calling very much but I cold call here because a large suited connector is very valuble in a multiway raised pot. If I think one of the blinds might raise again I can think about throwing it away but I'll call that bet too if I can close the action. Clear call IMO. I'd almost rather have a big suited connector than AA in that situation because I can either fit or fold on the flop.

Dead
02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I definitely like a coldcall here with JTs. While it is not as powerful as say AA heads up, you should like hands such as JTs in pots with lots of people. This is because JTs can make 4 straights using both cards, and all of the straights that JTs makes are to the nuts(AKQJT, KQJT9, QJT98, JT987). It also is suited so this adds maybe a 3% percentage chance of winning the hand. You also could flop top two pair on a board of like JT5 and bust the raiser's Kings or Aces.

So JTs can be an awesome hand, especially if the pot has 3 or 4 people in it, but really 7 or 8 is even better. This is because JTs more often flops flush and/or straight draws to win rather than making a single pair and having it hold up. A pair of Jacks or Tens will not likely hold up in a 7-way pot, but a straight or flush has a far better chance of doing so, especially the flush.

You can also have high implied odds with this hand(separate from pot odds in that implied odds take into account the money you expect to receive if you make your hand). Say you know that the person who raised has a big pair in his hand(Aces or Kings). You're still correct to call in a 5 or 6 person pot with your JTs because implied odds can help you do so.

You will most likely get paid off by the Aces or Kings all the way to the end if you make your draw and you will also get paid off by crappier hands as well.

Hope this helps.

Dave H.
02-26-2005, 11:46 PM
In this situation, I would also cold call...but it's very situational...i.e. on the button, lots of loose callers.

One other minor consideration...to make a straight, you MUST have a 5 or a Ten, and you have a ten.

KenProspero
02-27-2005, 03:55 PM
In a full game, ITH suggests a raised pot with JTs is 'call 4' If there's only 7 in the game, I'd still look for a couple of callers, or I'd let it go.

JTs is a great hand, but it plays best with a lot of callers.

KenProspero
02-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Did I misread, I thought he said it was a table of 7, not 7 alread in the pot.

SheridanCat
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I misread, I thought he said it was a table of 7, not 7 alread in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, I guess I totally misread the original post. My reply is completely wrong. I read it as a bunch of callers with a raise in middle position.

Okay, no way I call a single raiser 2-cold here. You want a lot of players in.

My apologies to everyone. Yikes.

Regards,

T

Alright, I read the followup post by the original poster and it's unclear how many are in the pot. It looks like there are a bunch of cold-callers to the button with JTs. I'm confused.

@bsolute_luck
02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
bah, i'm the original poster and i've done a lot more reading, searching the site here, and playing. i'll post better questions next time because i know now what information you need.

as for my original post, i just have to laugh because #1 how vague it is, #2 i didn't think this many people would post to it, #3 i can't remember the hand /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

but it actually leads me to a question i had last night while playing. there was a MAJOR LAG next too me (he raised preflop regardless of what he had- i don't know if he knew what the "check" button was for).

also everyone would limp in (table of approx 6-8) to me (i'd be in SB, BB, Button), so i'd raise when i'd have the right hand, suddenly it was money hemoragging mania- before it would even get back to me, my initial raise had been capped!!!!????

now this is just rediculous (oh i'm playing .05/.10 and .01/.02 because i'm still learning)!!!! okay, the reason for my posting all this: how close should i follow SSH in these kind of situations? if i understand what i read, only AA-JJ, AKs should be called, but i'm just sitting in total confusion, not knowing what to do. and it is basically the same throughout the hands! Major frustrations on my part because i feel like if i call, i'm learning bad habits, but if i fold, i'm just going to continue to get pushed off hands i might win by people with garbage nothing.