PDA

View Full Version : How long can a losing streak last for ?

09-07-2002, 03:27 PM
I decided to see if I could beat low limit holdem.
I found some good games full of loose guys. There is
always at least four players on the flop (often 8 or nine)
and just about all hands go to the showdown.
I figured this would be pretty straight forward to beat. Take up good cards and then raise and rerasie if the board is good for me. I started with a three hundred unit bank roll

After playing for fifteen hours I'm already down 100 units and im getting really annoyed. Hand after hand of rubish (Fold Fold Fold) finally something good shows up. I raise and reraise and get action all the way to the river. Hand after Hand of bad beats. I don't hit the flop or I get outdraw on the turn or river after raises, check-raises and generally making things as costly as possible.

Bluffing is totally useless its no foldem hold'em.

I made a couple of bad plays they cost me about fifteen units but other than than its been very frustrating.

How log can this sort of thing go on for ?

bernie
09-07-2002, 03:39 PM
100 units in 15 hours seems kinda high. but ok...the game may dictate that swing. id still check my play though, especially if its a passive or typical game and not overaggressive. if you just 'decided' to try and beat it, id bet there are holes in your game that your not seeing.

my longest streak was 7 weeks...just did a 2 week tour about a month ago. and mind you, thats playing about 20-30 hours a week. 15 hours isnt much. but it can be frustrating.

post some hands, or study some posts on here....

one way is to read the initial post, reply, THEN see how others would play it and compare to your way...it may open up many new ideas for ya.

i refer you to my post in the beginner section that was a reply to a beginner wanting to know where to begin...

it may give you some ideas...

b

Dynasty
09-07-2002, 06:44 PM
It can last more than 10 times longer than yours has already lasted.

09-07-2002, 11:32 PM
Playing "down" in a loose passive game, you win by getting overpaid on your monster hands. Did you get your fair share ?

09-08-2002, 02:22 AM
A bad losing streak, where your play is correct, could run 300 BB (or so). If your play is not correct it can go on forever!

09-08-2002, 06:34 PM
My latests stat sheet(about 30 hours of play) shows a 51.3 big bet loss in my first 17 hours of play(it took another 14 hours to get myself back to even). In my last 120 hours of play the biggest negative swing was about -75 big bets in 20 hours of play. This was at low limits (up to $2-$4) on line, yet I am still averaging over a big bet an hour. I think these swings happen at lower limits, but they still cause me to look at my play.

When a game has 8 or 9 people seeing the flop, you are no longer playing for top pair great kicker. Beware of coordinated and suited flops. I've often found the only way to limit the field in these games is to use a check-raise. I actually think position is more important than people think in these games. Being to the left of an aggessive player/maniac is really helpful(if you can get a field to fold to two bets).

Axs and pairs are good in these games, imo. You have a chance to flop big or get out. I've also noticed many flush over flushes in these games, since many players fall in love with any two suited cards.

09-09-2002, 06:08 PM