PDA

View Full Version : O8/ 6max

djr
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
On a lark, a couple days ago I started playing some O8 six handed games. I'm trying to come up with some starting hand requirements. From holdem we know that you can't play your regular tight game from 10max to 6max and survive. As well as weaker holdings become much more powerful (ie 2nd pair becomes a good hand in 6max). So assuming that holds true for omaha I figure I need to loosen up my hand requirements, become more agressive preflop, and go for 2nd/3rd nut hands (I still believe *any* flush will be a loser in the long run, but 3rd seems to be winning if there's not a huge aggression going on). The agression isn't a problem for the most part (giving into the tempation to chase weak draws that I shouldn't has been, but I'm working on it). But the hand selection is where I'm concerned. Thanks to the new pokertracker for omaha I realized I loosened up way more than I should (nearly 40% /images/graemlins/confused.gif).

If you know of any good guidelines let me know (I'm currently loaning away all my omaha books /images/graemlins/crazy.gif). But my basic strategy so far is:
any position
A2xx raisable
A3xx raisable
234x
235x
AAxx double suited, raisable
KQJT double suited
KKyy yy=23, 24

CO/Button
23xx
A45x preferably suited
4 broadways

small blind
all hands from the button
limp with
any two wheel cards
any A suited

iMsoLucky0
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I play ALOT of O8 shorthanded 10/20, never more than 6 players (and usually 3-4). It is definitely necessary to loosen up here, and there is one major thing that you must realize when moving from full to shorthanded.

It becomes so much more necessary to play the player instead of just the cards. On a full table, you have to pay some attention to the players, but mainly you are playing your cards looking for the nuts. On a shorthanded table, often some players are so bad that you should really loosen up against them.

On the new pokertracker, I have about 3000 hands loaded, and I have a VPIP of 55%, and PFR of 20%. I know this seems real high, but I play very aggresively and I know the players I am against very well. Like I said I also play <6 handed exclusively so that makes quite a difference.

Hope I helped, and good luck.

djr
02-24-2005, 10:19 PM
thanks for the reply.

I'm curious, in the 10/20 games you're in how many people are seeing the flop on average? (say 6 people at the table). At the 1/2 I'm trying out I'm getting 4.5 on average, when I raise its about 3.75 almost irregardless of what position I raised in.

iMsoLucky0
02-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Like I said, I play more 3 and 4 player tables than I do 6 player tables. But on average about 3 players see the flop in raised pots and 4 players in unraised pots in a 6 handed game. There is ALOT of preflop raising in these games too. There are alot of fish, and alot of TAGs that play this level. I'm sure it's alot more passive at the lower levels, although I don't hvae much experience there.