PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses for free offer in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue

WDC
02-21-2005, 03:07 PM
has anyone ever bought sunglasses from one of these advertisers that offer them for shipping and handling? I hate paying money for sunglasses and hate being scammed even more. Are these folks legit?

mmbt0ne
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I did this when I was in like 8th grade with some company called Gattica I think. I got my glasses, they were nothing special, but for $15 or whatever it was, I was happy. Plus I got enough of my friends to do it so that I got a free watch.

WDC
02-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I figure they got to be better than the 3 for $25 I get at the mall. I lose a pair a month or so I so can't spend more than 15 or so on a pair. I just want to make sure they actually get delivered.

istewart
02-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but I haven't received a swimsuit issue yet. I just got the LeBron James issue last Thurs/Fri. When did you get this? I think I'm getting pwned.

Wingnut
02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I used to by my sunglasses all the time from places like this. Decent quality glasses, worth maybe twice what you pay in shipping (not the MSRP or whatever they quote in the ad).

I would buy 3 or 4 pairs, not being able to tell from the pictures which ones would fit the way I like them to fit. They would usually all fit in some shape or form, and then I'd use them until they wore out.

I was just lamenting the other day that I hadn't seen an ad for these in a long time (I use to get them out of in-flight magazines). I was pleasantly surprised to see them, and may have to partake again.

WDC
02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I am not sure when I got mine because I found it in the recycling pile last Thursday (my wife claims it was a innocent mistake), so sometime before last Thursday.

Sully
02-21-2005, 07:15 PM
A friend of mine used to work for the guy who owns this company....Gattaca is one of the names, but he advertises under several of them. They are all shipped from his warehouse in Bend, Oregon, so you can tell which ones are connected.

Basically, you get what you pay for. These are really cheap sunglasses, but at about $3 a pair, it's not a bad deal. I think he stopped advertising for a while due to some legal issues with the advertising, but he must have gotten through all that.

wacki
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did this when I was in like 8th grade with some company called Gattica I think. I got my glasses, they were nothing special, but for $15 or whatever it was, I was happy. Plus I got enough of my friends to do it so that I got a free watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with cheap sunglasses, bad lenses can screw up your vision.