PDA

View Full Version : Pot big enough to take a stand w/88?

Bigdaddydvo
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Button is solid and tricky, and liked to bet to win pots uncontested.

Dvo is BB w/8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

4 limpers, SB completes, Dvo checks.

Flop J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Dvo checks, everyone checks to button who bets. Dvo raises, folded to button who calls.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Dvo bets, button calls.

River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Dvo bets, button calls.

My main questions are with the Flop checkraise, and the river value bet. Thanks.

antifish225
02-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Love the cr on the flop (this is one of my favorite plays), however since he called the flop cr, and called the turn, I would be tempted to check/call the river as opposed to betting out - given his 'calling along' I think you need to give him credit for at least some kind of hand (possibly top pair no kicker) and seems unlikely that he will fold the river (also - jmho - however I think a cr out of the blind screams '2 pair', especially on a flop like this, as such if he is calling all the way down he may very well have top pair no kicker and is just 'making sure he is no good') -

steveyz
02-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I think you have to bet this river rather than check-call. The board is pretty much absent any draws so your opponent is likely calling down with a made hand. Just hope it's A6 and not J3. Note that on the river, if you check-call, your opponent will likely bet with any J and probably check with a 6 or 2 or something like 55. The only hands he might check through with on the river that you beat are something like T9/T8/99, and those aren't very likely.
If there were more draws on the flop, check-calling the river to let him bluff a missed draw would be a better idea.

rmarotti
02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
This is good.

goofball
02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
he doesn't say if this is live or online.

in a live game top pair gets checked through all the time.

TimTimSalabim
02-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Agreed, we need to get people to post where they're playing and at what limits in all posted hands.

Bigdaddydvo
02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't say if this is live or online.

in a live game top pair gets checked through all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...this was live 10/20 at Caesars IN. I posted another hand in the mid/high stakes forum where I mentioned Caesars; I apologize for neglecting to write in an obviously important piece of info.