PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll, ROI, and Knowing You're a Winning Player (Some Questions)

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I've played limit hold'em ring games for a while now and done well. I have a good idea of what bankroll I need, what a good winrate is, and how to calculate that I'm a winning player to various degrees of confidence. Unfortunately, I have no clue about these basics when it comes to tournaments.

* How large a bankroll do you need to keep?

I have sizeable bankroll from ring games, but I'd like to keep a separate tournament bankroll. I'd like to build the tourney bankroll up so that I don't enter tournaments larger than my skill level and so I can be confident I'm actually winning money from tournaments.

* What ROI is good for multitable tournaments?

I've heard anywhere between 2-4x the buy in for very good players. Is this about right? It seems like a large range.

* How do you really know you're a winning player?

This is pretty easy for ring games, but doesn't seem so for tournaments. Tournaments appear to have much higher variance. I am up currently up in my tournament play, but my winnings are really from one final table appearance. I have no idea if I'm a winning tournament player right now. How long before I can know?

You can probably tell I'm new to tournaments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MLG
02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How large a bankroll do you need to keep?

[/ QUOTE ]

My rule of thumb is about 80 for the tournaments you play regularly, although I like many MTTers started out on a roll that was much too short.

[ QUOTE ]
* What ROI is good for multitable tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aspire to 2-2.5x and dream about 3.5x.

[ QUOTE ]
* How do you really know you're a winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont. No joke. It is very difficult, bordering on impossible to prove to a stastical comfort level that you are a winning player.

Side Note: The numbers I've thrown out aren't set in stone, but they are along the same lines as what's commonly accepted.

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The numbers I've thrown out aren't set in stone, but they are along the same lines as what's commonly accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Sam T.
02-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Another stat I've seen bandied about that might help - A solid player will cash about 25% of the time.

One other bit of (unsolicited) advice: Play the Stars two-table SnGs. Lots of poker for a little money. Not as grueling as a full tournament, but takes you though all the stages, including a weird little bubble before the tables are combined. For some reason people will try to fold their way to the final table even though the payouts start at fourth.

schwza
02-21-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason people will try to fold their way to the final table even though the payouts start at fourth.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably b/c they have not played much SH poker. incidentally, i think that's probably the most exploitable weakness i've found in MTT's - that people don't steal enough when short-handed and blinds are big.