PDA

View Full Version : Best Rock Song of the Past 10 Years?

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Everlong

TylerD
02-21-2005, 01:35 PM
That killed your thread, you're obviously right.

Evan
02-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Have you heard the accoustic version Dave Grohl (sp?) played on Howard Stern once? That rules.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard the accoustic version Dave Grohl (sp?) played on Howard Stern once? That rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard an acoustic version, wasn't aware it was on Howard Stern, but I agree it was most excellent.

istewart
02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
"Rock" is a bit broad, either way it's not Everlong. Great song though.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your opinion then? That was kinda the reason for the thread.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His opinion is that it's not Everlong, and I have to agree with that.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His opinion is that it's not Everlong, and I have to agree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak, throw out another song then thats better.

istewart
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure, it would obviously take awhile. A few worth mentioning: "Brain Stew," "Bulls on Parade," "Stinkfist."

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:47 PM
The problem with threads like this, is not many people post what would legititmately be thought of as the best rock song of the past 10 years, just their favorite one. There is a big difference.

I'm already seeing songs I haven't heard of, which is annoying in a thread like this.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Brain Stew"

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I always thought Insomniac was thought of as some of Green Day's worst work.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Paranoid Android, you fools. Discussion over.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paranoid Android

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhh, I was trying to think of one, but I'm gonna agree with this.

Schneids
02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with threads like this, is not many people post what would legititmately be thought of as the best rock song of the past 10 years, just their favorite one. There is a big difference.

I'm already seeing songs I haven't heard of, which is annoying in a thread like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this whole post as long as the part about ppl's fav song not being directed at Everlong. Since Everlong is the best.

PhatTBoll
02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Was Undertow released within the last 10 years? If it was, the answer is clearly Sober.

Tool is the best band still making music by several light years.

Soul Daddy
02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was Undertow released within the last 10 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I believe 'twas nine-trey.

Hmmm...if we're going for "best" and not "favorite", it's hard to go against Paranoid Android. Beautiful song.

mmbt0ne
02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Bulls on Parade

[/ QUOTE ]

Sneaking in under the 10 year requirement, this one takes it.

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everlong

[/ QUOTE ]

An awesome song. It may not be the best (and I wouldn't know what is) but I will offer this: In a former band I played drums for I also had to sing Everlong when we played it. Singing and drumming to this song at the same time was one of the top 10 most exausting things I've ever done. The crowds loved it though.

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...if we're going for "best" and not "favorite", it's hard to go against Paranoid Android. Beautiful song.

[/ QUOTE ]

And BINGO was his name, oh!

PhatTBoll
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I believe 'twas nine-trey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh. I'll go with Stinkfist then.

istewart
02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Tool is great but Radiohead is still better. However, it is quite close. For Radiohead songs I vote for "Climbing up the Walls" and "How to Disappear Completely."

cnfuzzd
02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tool is great but Radiohead is still better. However, it is quite close. For Radiohead songs I vote for "Climbing up the Walls" and "How to Disappear Completely."

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm, maybe i took the early train to stupid-land, but at no point have i ever considered radiohead to be rock....

nomination forthcoming

peace

john nickle

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I'll repeat what I said before, because I think a few people missed it:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why so many people keep insisting it's Everlong, especially when I reminded everyone a while ago that it's clearly Paranoid Android. Everlong's a good song and all and I'm sure you guys all like to rock out to whatever Dave Grohl's screaming along to, but there is no comparison. Paranoid Android is by far the most brilliant rock song of the past 10 years and, more than that, it compares favorably to any rock song of any time.

Soul Daddy
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Climbing up the Walls"

[/ QUOTE ]

Great song. Creepy as hell.

istewart
02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm, maybe i took the early train to stupid-land, but at no point have i ever considered radiohead to be rock....

nomination forthcoming

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've never considered Radiohead to be rock then you've never listened to much Radiohead.

PhatTBoll
02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tool is great but Radiohead is still better. However, it is quite close.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are so different it's pretty much pointless to argue. It's interesting though that both these bands are influenced heavily by Pink Floyd (my favorite band). Kind of cool to see how that influence has diverged into these two very different, but very good, groups.

Jack of Arcades
02-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Listen to the man, people.

cnfuzzd
02-21-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've never considered Radiohead to be rock then you've never listened to much Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, this could be. Most of my early radiohead memories echo down to me through halls of smoke-filled nights. However, i did just listen to paranoid android again, and while it really is a perfect song, im not willing to call it rock, at least not in the "we are but men. ROCK!!!!" sense. For the record, i also barely consider the latest tool album to be a "rock" album, although certain songs, such as ticks, grudge, and parabola, fit the label. Rock to me will always make me, well,,, wanna rock. Radiohead makes me more want to actually listen to the auditory experience that has been prepared for me.

peace

john nickle

istewart
02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tool is great but Radiohead is still better. However, it is quite close.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are so different it's pretty much pointless to argue. It's interesting though that both these bands are influenced heavily by Pink Floyd (my favorite band). Kind of cool to see how that influence has diverged into these two very different, but very good, groups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely. To continue the argument, Zeppelin &gt; Floyd. All great bands though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DMBFan23
02-21-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll repeat what I said before, because I think a few people missed it:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why so many people keep insisting it's Everlong, especially when I reminded everyone a while ago that it's clearly Paranoid Android. Everlong's a good song and all and I'm sure you guys all like to rock out to whatever Dave Grohl's screaming along to, but there is no comparison. Paranoid Android is by far the most brilliant rock song of the past 10 years and, more than that, it compares favorably to any rock song of any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you add a lot to this subjective discussion.

that said, I can't think of a better one than paranoid android

nothumb
02-21-2005, 03:53 PM
It's hard to argue against the best rock song of the last decade being Radiohead, and if it is, Paranoid Android has got to be near the top. Some others that I really like are "Exit Music" and "Sit down. Stand up." I think both have similar levels of both artistic excellence and enjoyability.

There are several Hum songs that I would consider to be in the top tier here as well, even though I haven't listened to them regularly in a while. "The Scientists," "I Hate it Too," and especially "The Pod" all come to mind. I'm sorry if you guys haven't heard them and will therefore resent these nominations.

Other random rock songs of the last decade I like a lot:

Cake - "Mexico"
Cake - "Stickshifts and Safetybelts"
Beck - "The Golden Age"
Tom Waits - "Cold Water"
Tom Waits - "Come on Up to the House"
Warren Zevon - "Keep Me in Your Heart"

There are a lot of indie rock songs I could dig up from that era in my life but I'll leave that to somebody else.

NT

guller
02-21-2005, 04:13 PM
City Hall by Tenacious D.

partygirluk
02-21-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I don't think Paranoid Android is rock.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Warren Zevon - "Keep Me in Your Heart"

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you said a Warren Zevon song just gained you mucho points in my book. OOOOHHHHHHHHWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO Werewolves of London!!!!

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You FOOL!

All you people saying Radiohead, and more specifically, Paranoid Android, is not rock can suck my hairy white ass.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Radiohead sucks. However, I figured I'd be fair so I downloaded Paranoid Android and gave it a listen. I think the only thing I could come up with to compare it to is nails scratching on a chalkboard.

Do you guys actually enjoy listening to some guy whining with a depressing musical beat in the background? And then proclaim its the best rock song of the past 10 years?

kemystery
02-21-2005, 04:30 PM
'Sleep now in the Fire' RATM

James Boston
02-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Lit Up

Daliman
02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everlong

[/ QUOTE ]

An awesome song. It may not be the best (and I wouldn't know what is) but I will offer this: In a former band I played drums for I also had to sing Everlong when we played it. Singing and drumming to this song at the same time was one of the top 10 most exausting things I've ever done. The crowds loved it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monkeywrench has a single line in it that runs like 35 seconds that's a real wind-taker too.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Radiohead sucks. However, I figured I'd be fair so I downloaded Paranoid Android and gave it a listen. I think the only thing I could come up with to compare it to is nails scratching on a chalkboard.

Do you guys actually enjoy listening to some guy whining with a depressing musical beat in the background? And then proclaim its the best rock song of the past 10 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not listening.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have made mention of Rage Against the Machine songs, and a lot of their songs have to be up there on the list.

Daliman
02-21-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You FOOL!

All you people saying Radiohead, and more specifically, Paranoid Android, is not rock can suck my hairy white ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have OK computer, actually, I ONLY have Kid A and pablo honey, but my favorite radiohead song is Idioteque.

cnfuzzd
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You FOOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

i love radiohead. I just dont consider them rock. why do you consider them rock. Repondez sil vous plait.

peace

john nickle

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I am listening. I know crap when I hear it.

nothumb
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to one of their best songs.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000029D9.01._PE7_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Evil Empire came out in the nine-six. I'd say best songs include People of the Sun, Bulls on Parade, Down Rodeo, Roll Right, etc.

I didn't enjoy much of Rage's stuff after The Ghost of Tom Joad.

NT

nothumb
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Nice avatar.

NT

Daliman
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice avatar.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but Vince Carter's in the olympics over the 7-footer was better.

Soul Daddy
02-21-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i love radiohead. I just dont consider them rock. why do you consider them rock. Repondez sil vous plait.

[/ QUOTE ]

If not rock, what genre are they? Or more appropriately, what parameters need to be met to be considered rock?

mmbt0ne
02-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Nice avatar.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten a lot of this, but I'm sticking by my choice. Had I been 20 feet away from Vince when that dunk happened, maybe I switch my vote.

nothumb
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Who is this BTW, too small to see?

NT

The-Matador
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
That Creed song about the paperback novel.

mmbt0ne
02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Isma'il Muhammad dunking over Engin Atsur from NC State.

morello
02-21-2005, 05:52 PM
If "You Know You're Right" is eligible, it wins. Easily.

(recorded &gt;10 years ago, but public release is within the 10 year time frame)

TylerD
02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
WHAT? If you're going to pick a Radiohead song at least choose Karma Police. I wouldn't class Radiohead as a "rock" group either. I would call them "Indie/Alternative".

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WHAT? If you're going to pick a Radiohead song at least choose Karma Police. I wouldn't class Radiohead as a "rock" group either. I would call them "Indie/Alternative".

[/ QUOTE ]

Both good points. Karma Police is the only Radiohead song I can even listen to.

Jack of Arcades
02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
I like how "Indie/Alternative" is different from Rock, yet, Indie is not different from Alternative.

Soul Daddy
02-21-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't class Radiohead as a "rock" group either. I would call them "Indie/Alternative".

[/ QUOTE ]

Fill in the blank:
1)Indie ____
2)Alternative ____

private joker
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
My answer:

http://www.therebelinvaders.dk/Discography%20The%20Raveonettes/Do_You_Believe_Her_HP.jpg

Radiohead is my favorite band working right now, and "Paranoid Android" is beyond orgasmic awesome, but people should just listen to this song. Especially the final guitar push of the last 15 seconds.

bugstud
02-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Soundgarden - Pretty Noose

What do I win?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Soundgarden - Pretty Noose

What do I win?

[/ QUOTE ]
You win nothing. Your joke was not funny.

miajag81
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes

no contest

bugstud
02-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Neither was Paranooid Android /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously though, it has to be considered

Munkster
02-21-2005, 07:52 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm just sneaks in being put out in 1995. Although from that album I'd prefer Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm just sneaks in being put out in 1995. Although from that album I'd prefer Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take Zero or Muzzle. Really, though, it's hard to take a Pumpkins song from MCIS when you know that Siamese Dream is out there, even though SD isn't eligible for this particular thread. I was considering putting up a Pumpkins song, but refrained for this reason. It's hard to nominate a song when it's not even the best from that band.

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take Zero or Muzzle. Really, though, it's hard to take a Pumpkins song from MCIS when you know that Siamese Dream is out there, even though SD isn't eligible for this particular thread. I was considering putting up a Pumpkins song, but refrained for this reason. It's hard to nominate a song when it's not even the best from that band.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, Disarm would be at the top of my list if not for it being from 1993 and thus not eligible.

Munkster
02-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Disarm is definitely my favourite smashing pumpkin song.

Picking out the best ten rock songs is hard enough, much less picking out one. I love bands like the Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, Weezer, etc, but they are a class below bands like radiohead, tool and nirvana, which are a class below bands like the smashing pumpkins, depeche mode, led zepplin and especailly pink floyd. IMO.

kemystery
02-21-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to one of their best songs.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000029D9.01._PE7_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't responding with my vote for best RATM song, which is debatable obviously. My reply is in the context of best 'Rock' song in the last 10 years - and I really just threw it out because I didn't think of 'How you Remind me' first /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BWebb
02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice avatar.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten a lot of this, but I'm sticking by my choice. Had I been 20 feet away from Vince when that dunk happened, maybe I switch my vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

THREAD HIJACK****

Carter's was better by far. As for dunk of the year, it has to be JaVance Coleman of Fresno St. against Boise St.

Dunk (http://gobulldogs.collegesports.com/multimedia/fres-multimedia.html#other)

Click on THE PLAY, about halfway down.

daryn
02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
wtf is everlong by the way?

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everlong

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monkeywrench has a single line in it that runs like 35 seconds that's a real wind-taker too.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. However, Everlong was the only Foo song we covered and the only song I sang lead for..

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...depeche mode,...

[/ QUOTE ]

"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but Depeche Mode is a really good band." It's from a movie. Who can call it for me?

02-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Stacy's Mom.

She's got it goin' on.

plaster8
02-21-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lit Up

[/ QUOTE ]

Great song, if you are indeed talking about Buckcherry, but any song whose main riff is blatantly ripped off should not be considered.

Soul Daddy
02-21-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Foo Fighters. I'd assume you've heard it, though I had no clue it was so highly regarded.

"The only thing I'll ever ask of you, you've got to promise not to stop when I say when..."

PhatTBoll
02-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Orgazmo

"I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin, but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band!"

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Foo Fighters. I'd assume you've heard it, though I had no clue it was so highly regarded.

"The only thing I'll ever ask of you, you've got to promise not to stop when I say when..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus it's a great song to drum to. You should learn it and give it a go sometime.

nothumb
02-21-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally correct. Also, my distaste for Billy Corgan prevents me from nominating him for anything. I'd rather just listen to Siamese Dream and pretend he died right after that record.

NT

daryn
02-21-2005, 11:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes, i have heard it of course. it's not particularly good though. i honestly and truly cannot believe that it is being talked of as the best rock song in the past 10 years.

nothumb
02-21-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to make love to you tonight.

NT

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally correct. Also, my distaste for Billy Corgan prevents me from nominating him for anything. I'd rather just listen to Siamese Dream and pretend he died right after that record.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
Billy Corgan is arguably the greatest musical genius of the 90's. I'll accept arguments for a few others, namely Thom Yorke, but also I'll at least listen to Maynard James Keenan, Curt Cobain, Trent Reznor, Scott Weiland, and probably a couple others I've forgotten in my haste to post.

I'd put Corgan and Yorke as 1a and 1b and I'd at least respect your opinion if you said the others I listed.

PhatTBoll
02-21-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Except for 1979, I have hated every song they released since Siamese Dream.

James Boston
02-21-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any song whose main riff is blatantly ripped off should not be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Refresh my memory. Ripped off from whom?

plaster8
02-22-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Refresh my memory. Ripped off from whom?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Shock Me" by Kiss. I didn't even notice it until by chance I made a CD with the two songs back to back.

istewart
02-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, maybe. I think the Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" could deserve some consideration, although it's a blatant ripoff as well.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I have no idea what any of thesae songs are. I'm sure I've heard them on the radio, but I dunno... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

nothumb
02-22-2005, 12:35 AM
I think he's a good songwriter, guitarist, etc, although everything went downhill after MC&amp;TIS. Even then you start to see the pretention overwhelming the actual musician.

If you are talking about musical geniuses of 90's rock, or more generally that post-grunge period that we are basically dealing with for the most part since this is post-95, he is up there. However there are a number of people who made music in the 90's that are way higher up than Corgan.

Thom Yorke is definitely one of them.
There was also this guy named Kurt something, I guess he's pretty highly regarded.
Also, in all seriousness, Prince is a musical genius, although he was better in the 80's and 00's.
Tom Waits was active in the 90's and realeased one album (Mule Variations) that is a classic in its genre (whatever that is). But again, better in other decades. However I rank him higher in overall musical genius than either Corgan or Yorke.

Other notables IMHO include Andre 3000, Nas, DJ Shadow, Frank Black, etc.

And any thread about best rock songs of the last 10 years would be incomplete without "Accident Prone" by Jawbreaker.

NT

istewart
02-22-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DJ Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Soul Daddy
02-22-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes, i have heard it of course. it's not particularly good though. i honestly and truly cannot believe that it is being talked of as the best rock song in the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes at least two of us. Given a choice between the two, it belongs in the "Songs that make you change the radio station instantly" thread more than this one.

Jack of Arcades
02-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Your list is comprised wholly of rock artists - and in particular, a small section of the genre. This cannot be correct, as you are focusing on only a small piece of the musical pie. Nothumb has touched on a few.

How about...

Sascha K. OhGr. I'm leaving out other great industrial artists. Tori Amos. Ani DiFranco. P.J. Harvey. Rick Reuben. Damon Albarn. Stephen Malkmus. Beck. Bjork. Doug Martsch. Michael Stipe. Richard D. James. I'd mention Jeff Tweedy but YHF came out post 90s.

I'm not saying these all deserve the title, but they at least warrant consideration.

Dominic
02-22-2005, 01:08 AM
"Down by the Water"
PJ Harvey

James Boston
02-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I can hear the similarities, but wouldn't call it a "rip-off." The melody is totally different, and even the riff you're hearing the similarity in isn't exactly the same.

IndieMatty
02-22-2005, 01:13 AM
That new Kelly Clarkson song.

Enon
02-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Here are a few incredibly catchy rock songs from lesser known bands in the last few years:

Dismemberment Plan - The City
Enon - Natural Disasters
The Unicorns - Sea Ghost
Xiu Xiu - I luv the Valley, oh!
Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake

IndieMatty
02-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Good one.

MEbenhoe
02-22-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Except for 1979, I have hated every song they released since Siamese Dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Zero, Bullet with Butterfly Wings? nothing?

Reef
02-22-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everlong

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm clearly out of the loop

MEbenhoe
02-22-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everlong

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm clearly out of the loop

[/ QUOTE ]

Its by the Foo Fighters from The Colour and The Shape. Commonly thought of the song that separates them from just being a pretty good band, to being an awesome band.

Edge34
02-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Unforgiven II.

Everlong is a great song, but this is probably one of Metallica's best songs ever.

MEbenhoe
02-22-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unforgiven II.

Everlong is a great song, but this is probably one of Metallica's best songs ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed to see someone who agrees with me that this is definitely one of their best songs ever.

Fratony
02-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Anything Ashlee Simpson, especially the one she did at the Orange Bowl, that was spectacular. If that isn't rock I don't know what is.

MEbenhoe
02-22-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything Ashlee Simpson, especially the one she did at the Orange Bowl, that was spectacular. If that isn't rock I don't know what is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice attempt at humor, maybe you'll have more luck next time. Sorry but that joke has been so overused.

http://www.spiralandcircle.com/jumbo%20pencil%20new.jpg

Matter a fact dawg, here's a pencil.
Go home, write some [censored], make it suspenseful.
And don't come back until something dope hits you.

Edge34
02-22-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] it - you can take the mic home with you!

istewart
02-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Watched that movie 5 times this weekend. God, no more.

Fratony
02-22-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, thats new and fresh too. Bet you came up with that one yourself, right Eminem?
http://ebounding.host.sk/collage/lastweek2_small.jpg

MEbenhoe
02-22-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, thats new and fresh too. Bet you came up with that one yourself, right Eminem?

[/ QUOTE ]

My humor is above you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edge34
02-22-2005, 03:03 AM
To be fair, bro, he DID go and find a picture of a [censored] pencil just to post it in here...

plaster8
02-22-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can hear the similarities, but wouldn't call it a "rip-off." The melody is totally different, and even the riff you're hearing the similarity in isn't exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points all, but I can't hear one without thinking of the other now. Maybe it's just me. "Ripoff" might have been a bit strong, but I think it's very close.