PDA

View Full Version : How's this for Level 1 to 3 basic strategy?

e_fermat
02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok. I've reached the extent to multi-tabling at 8 tables...I've tried to 12-table using 2 computers but just don't have the dexterity to do it. So in a quest to increase my hourly earn, my new idea is to have my girlfriend start up 8 new tables on another computer while I am on about level 4 on my current set. That way once I am done, I can switch to the games she's started and she can then start a whole new group of 8. Basically, I will only be playing levels 4 and up and she will only be playing levels 1 to 3.

Now the catch is she is not really interested in poker that much and I don't want to overwhelm her with concepts so I want to develop a simple basic strategy for levels 1-3 which requires NO POKER SKILLS as even the AleoMagus guide would be too much for her to follow.

Here is the strategy I came up with:

Party Levels 1 to 3 Basic Strategy

ANY SEAT OTHER THAN BB

AA-KK: Raise to 4BB; all-in if re-raised. Push ANY flop. Call any re-raise/all-in.

QQ-TT: Raise to 4BB; fold if re-raised. Push any flop without higher cards or if a set hits, otherwise check/fold.

22-99: Limp only. Fold to re-raise. Push with set, otherwise check/fold.

AKs/AKo: Raise to 4BB; push any flop with A or K, 4 flush, otherwise check/fold.

Axs: Limp only. Fold to re-raise. Push any flush/4 flush or two-pair, otherwise check/fold.

FROM BB

Facing a raise: Push with AA-QQ; AKs/AKo. Otherwise fold.
Facing all-in: Call with AA/KK.

Flop holding 2 random cards: Push any two-pair. Otherwise check/fold.
Flop holding a pair: Push any set. Otherwise check/fold.
Flop holding 2 suited cards: Push any flush/4 flush. Otherwise check/fold.

I would like to hear comments as to whether this would be practical and what changes you would make to these rules. I am very sure that she would be capable to following this precisely and I will be sitting next to her so she can always ask questions if unsure. I plan this strategy for PP $20's through $50's but would obviously pilot test in the $10's to start and would start her off only 4 tabling (she plays for me occasionally now when I need to take a break with some simple rules so she is not totally unfamiliar with poker).

Obviously I am giving some value by folding to min-raises, folding OESD's, not utilizing check-raises, etc, etc. Also, I would not have any reads on players when I take over at level 4 cold. However, I think this strategy would be close enough to standard play that any difference would hopefully be minimal. Currently, I have about a 20% ROI so basically any ROI greater than 10% would still be $/hr positive, especially including rake-back. I have a sneaking suspicion that in fact my ROI would suffer less and may only see a 5% or so decrease. Again, that's just speculation though.

Comments??

wegs the wegs
02-21-2005, 01:42 PM
My biggest suggestion would be to marry her before she gets sick of playing poker for you.

You better be buying her nice things.

FishBurger
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Do you really want her to push any 4-flush from the BB in levels 1-3? She'll only get called if she is beat.

e_fermat
02-21-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want her to push any 4-flush from the BB in levels 1-3? She'll only get called if she is beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. This could easily be a push while holding 32s and may represent a leak. At the same time, perhaps only pushing a flush/4 flush holding an A or K of the suit is too tight. It really depends on the number of limpers but again, that requires too much poker skill to judge. I imagine the CEV in either case is not huge, it doesn't come up enough since there will only be 3 BB plays before level 4 and probably only half of those will deal with unraised pots.

I also realized I haven't dealt with flopped straights but I think I will propose pushing all made straights (regardless of tone of board) and check/folding all OESD's.

GimmeDaWatch
02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
This is funny. I am laughing.

1C5
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Hahah yeah, great post and neat idea. Good luck with it!

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
LOL, u better buy her stuff...my preflop strategy is the following...
USE UNTIL U HAVE 10X THE BB OR THEY ARE ONLY 6 PLAYERS LEFT.
AA: Raise to 5x the maximun bet( I dunno the name of the concept..but if some guy bets 50 u raise to 250)40% of stack rule applies.
KK: Same as AA.
QQ: EP: raise 5x the BB , if the pot has been raised fold.
LP: raise 5x the BB , if the pot has been raised call. fold to all-ins.
AK: Same as AA
JJ-TT: Same as QQ but without raising.

If you can reach 6 players with ure initial stack we are looking at a profitable situation, if u dont get a hand you will have like T850( with initial 1000) but since we have the image of a ROCK, i mean a ROCK we can easily get to 1000 by stealing..even the avg $11 joe will notice our tight play by simply looking at our stack.

Im probably hallucinating since I use this for UB and in that structure I have a lot of possiblities to steal blinds.

se2schul
02-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not laying down QQ in level 1 when a fish reraises me with his AQ or his KJs or his 99. I don't know what levels you're playing, but at $11 and $22, I'm just not laying QQ down that easily.

ss

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM
It is -ev on chips to fold queens...But I think the blind stealing possiblities later on are worth it on money terms...I use this strategy for $11 on UB.

e_fermat
02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can reach 6 players with ure initial stack we are looking at a profitable situation, if u dont get a hand you will have like T850( with initial 1000) but since we have the image of a ROCK, i mean a ROCK we can easily get to 1000 by stealing..even the avg $11 joe will notice our tight play by simply looking at our stack.

Im probably hallucinating since I use this for UB and in that structure I have a lot of possiblities to steal blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not hallucinating, a rock image is indeed important for blind stealing later which is why I've left out playing broadway cards like KQs. I guess the only key difference between my hands and your hands is I'm also playing low PP's and Axs. I did use my own pokertracker stats as a guide to developing these general rules as I saw all my low pockets are +CEV and most Axs down to about A4s are also +CEV at levels 1 to 3. However, pokertracker can't measure the image factor of additional steals towards the bubble so maybe I should consider simplying more.

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, u better buy her stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. She will be well compensated for her time...I will do anything in bed that she asks for. Ok seriously, she'll get lots of jewelry.

brad the fish
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just add another video card and monitor to the computer? From my understanding XP will support up to 9 monitors...

e_fermat
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be easier to just add another video card and monitor to the computer? From my understanding XP will support up to 9 monitors...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not just the physical dexterity but also the decision making short handed on the bubble. Maybe I just need more practice but I think I'm leaking quite a bit and slowing down play for others when I have 10 or 11 tables at the bubble. I think basically the difference here is 12 tabling furiously or 8-tabling calmly and effectively playing the same number as a 16-tabler.

valenzuela
02-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Curiously enough I loose my play on the micro sngs because players wont realize how tight i am anyway. I think this deserves a poll.

The Yugoslavian
02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I'd have her play significantly tighter. Also I'm not sold that you can beat the games given what you describe.

Especially if you're killing the games 8 tabling. Are you sure you can't just buy more monitors and a phat setup so that you can handle 8+ tables?

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
02-21-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Curiously enough I loose my play on the micro sngs because players wont realize how tight i am anyway. I think this deserves a poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrm. Yeah, playing tight is good for other reasons too.

Yugoslav

swarm
02-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I think having her play extra tight might be the right play as well. If you can get to level 4 with a relative un-redouced or slightly increased stack you will be able to make the money enough to have a solid ROI.

How long do you think she will keep this up for you though? If she has no interest she is going to get very, very bored!

e_fermat
02-21-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have her play significantly tighter. Also I'm not sold that you can beat the games given what you describe.

Especially if you're killing the games 8 tabling. Are you sure you can't just buy more monitors and a phat setup so that you can handle 8+ tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably right. I could probably limit Axs to ATs+ and maybe 66+ for pocket pairs and have a negligible effect on chip value yet significantly reduce the number of hands played. As far as whether this is practical, we shall see. I'd plan to start at the 10's for 250+ sngs and see how that goes before moving up at each level. Right now, I only play 2 or 3 nights a week and maybe one afternoon on the weekend so just trying to think of ways to increase games played.

As I mentioned to Brad the Fish, I've tried more than 8-tabling but I think 10 is pretty much my physical limit and I find that pretty stressful.

microbet
02-21-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now the catch is she is not really interested in poker that much

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funeral dude.