PDA

View Full Version : Action drying up, what to do?

MyMindIsGoing
02-21-2005, 01:30 PM
When I started to play on prima (more than a year ago) there were max 8 longhanded hold'em 0.25/0.50 PL tables running, and max 1 shorthanded. So most of the action were on the longhanded ones. But when prima grew there are now more shorthanded players on 0.25/0.50 than longhanded. Right now for example there are twise as many shorthand players than longhanded. On 0.5/1.0 there is not always a longhanded table running and only a handfull of shorthanded. I do very well at the longhanded tables, but it feels like less people play 0.25/0.50 PL longhanded every day. Now there is not even always a decent table running. There are way more regulars now than there ever was. I realy would like to move up in stakes, but there is even less action there... Forget about 1/2 PL longhanded, only saw one table running once, and it only lasted 15 minutes. What should I do?

poboy
02-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm not knocking your choice of game. However it seems to me that your only likely to find better than average players in PL because it isn't as popular as NL. Every fish who's seen rounders wants to play NL. Perhaps the PL players are switching to NL to take advantage of this. JMO

Benal
02-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Switch to Party, or learn SH NL.

meow_meow
02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I'll second that first response. The only people who are interested in PL are those that understand the differences between it an NL (not being facetious here).
I don't play on Prima, but how many more NL games run at that limit vs. PL games? If it's 3 or 4:1, then you need to go where the fish are. If not, switch to party NL. A quick check of the party 50NL shows about 100 6max NL tables going, about 20 full-ring (not "longhanded") NL, and exactly 5 full-ring PL games running....

TheWorstPlayer
02-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I actually voted for 2 and 3. And 1 is very very wrong. The fish are so much fishier at the slightly more esoteric games if you know what you are doing. O8 is an absolute gold mine. If you know how to play PL (especially O8) it is not even funny how much money you can make there.

MyMindIsGoing
02-21-2005, 05:22 PM
I actually thought about playing PL omaha (hi only) instead but variance is sooooo high it seems. I am a good omahaplayer I would say (atleast at small stakes SNGs). Played several hundred omaha sng (nl though since there were hardly any pot limit games running, I do prefer PL) with a high ROI. I also thought about playing shorthanded ringgames instead since they seem very popular, but somehow I was never good at shorthanded ringgames. But when it comes to tourneys, I would say that it was when it got down to shorthanded I played best. Also I wouldn't say I am a bad no limit ringame player either. Somehow I just felt pot limit was more my thing dunno why. I show good profit in low buy in NL holdem MTT, but I dislike the variance. 0.25/0.50 PL hold'em is not the future for me....

MyMindIsGoing
02-21-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many more NL games run at that limit vs. PL games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Counting right now (full or almost full):
NL longhanded 0.25/0.50: 29
PL longhanded 0.25/0.50: 4

BobboFitos
02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Quick note about omaha 8:

Im not so keen on the money scene, but the players are so bad in Omaha 8 tournaments it's amazing. I dont routinely play in the the 200 / 100 / etc $ NLH tourneys, but I do for OM8, and the players are brut. And they're even worse (somehow) in the 20/10 etc variants.

~~

About PLH, I like it a little more than NLH, and I agree with TWP the players are on a whole a little worse, not better.