PDA

View Full Version : Biggest cinematic dissapointments?

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
You can suggest a whole movie, or just parts of a movie which made it so dissapointing.

Ill list 3....

3. The Phantom Menace, no brainer.

2. Million Dollar Baby. Unforgiven, Mystic River were both in my top 10 all time, and the MDB hype was high. Went to see this in the theater, and left with a big 'what the hell was that?' I officially now think Eastwood is over the hill.

And the biggest...
1. Matrix: Revolutions. So, I went to see the original Matrix with low hopes, I thought the trailers looked stupid and it was just another sci-fi flick. I left the theater amazed, just having saw one of my favorite movies ever.
Reloaded comes out... eh. Well its ok I tell myself, because Reloaded and Revolutions are really just 1 movie in 2 parts, so ofcourse this movie will leave a lot to be desired. Plus, for some reason I listened to random bad sources who claimed Revolutions would easily be the best in the series.
... I go to see Revolutions in theaters, and that was the single biggest kick-in-the-stomach experience I have ever had in a theater. The movie was nothing new past the other ones, the philosophy was stupid, the christ imagery was laughable, and the finale was a yawn. I still want to know how the Wachowskis fell so fast, so quickly.

Paluka
02-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Kill Bill was a real downer for me. I'm not saying the movie was really bad or anything, but I had just built it up too much. I was expecting the perfect blend of Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon and Pulp Fiction. It fell short.

2planka
02-21-2005, 01:13 PM
The three star wars prequels. A big squishy fetid pile of over-hype.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kill Bill was a real downer for me. I'm not saying the movie was really bad or anything, but I had just built it up too much. I was expecting the perfect blend of Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon and Pulp Fiction. It fell short.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt chalk up Kill Bill as a 'dissapointment', but I agree I thought Part 1 was just 'pretty good', and the second was alright. I thought Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs were easily better movies.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The three star wars prequels. A big squishy fetid pile of over-hype.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third one aint out yet bud, although the force tells me you'll be right about Revenge of the Sith too.

2planka
02-21-2005, 01:20 PM
heh... must've been a premonition

ilya
02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
The Bourne Supremacy. I'd really liked The Bourne Identity, and I was really looking forward to the sequel. The plot and acting were fine, but the editing was terrible, so bad that it killed the movie for me.

Hero. The trailer kicked ass and made me really excited to see the movie....too bad it turned out to be so pretentious, overly convoluted, and boring.

Redmen62
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
The Village, and I still kinda liked it- Just a huge letdown from what I was expecting.

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I have to go with Jurassic Park. This movie was so hyped and I thought it was a decent film but nothing as spectacular as it was made out to be.

astroglide
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
highlander 2

meep_42
02-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Ocean's 12.

-d

Robk
02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
godfather 3

Daliman
02-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Agreed on Matrix 3. On it's own, it's a decent action flick, with some incredible battle scenes, but it was supposed to be so much more.

For myself, i'd have to say LOTR 1. I was completely whelmed by it.

High Roller was a dissapointment too, less for being average than for the fact that I'd been waiting for it for so longand am so intersted in the subject matter. I had always wondered why it didn't get a major release, then I saw it and knew why.

istewart
02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to go with Jurassic Park. This movie was so hyped and I thought it was a decent film but nothing as spectacular as it was made out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on crack /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Jurassic Park is phenomenal.

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're on crack /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Jurassic Park is phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong. It was good. I just expected to be blown out of my chair and was not. I would never put it on a national top ten list or anything. Just to me it was a dissapointment.

Daliman
02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Also, Mystic River was a HUGE disappointment. Great performances abound, but the story fell SO flat.

istewart
02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
All around I think the world was disappointed with It's Pat.

pshreck
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Mystic River was a HUGE disappointment. Great performances abound, but the story fell SO flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... it was a tragedy.

For story really falling flat... see Million Dollar Baby. Last 45 minutes of the film are preachy and quite boring.

Daliman
02-21-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... it was a tragedy.

For story really falling flat... see Million Dollar Baby. Last 45 minutes of the film are preachy and quite boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

It being a tragedy had little to do with the disappointment. The overall premise was weak looking back, and the resolution seemed like the writer couldn't think of a decent one, so took the dumbest one he could think of.

The-Matador
02-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Phantom Menace for sure. That is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I was expecting it to be the best movie I had ever seen.

fsuplayer
02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Million Dollar Baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are insane and so wrong. :P

the movie was incredible.

much better than what I expected.

you were right about one thing however, the phantom menace was god awful

theBruiser500
02-21-2005, 08:15 PM
mDb was awesome

Munkster
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ocean's 12.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Munkster
02-21-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bourne Supremacy. I'd really liked The Bourne Identity, and I was really looking forward to the sequel. The plot and acting were fine, but the editing was terrible, so bad that it killed the movie for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's surprising, I enjoyed Supremcy more than Identity and I can't wait for Ultimatum to come out.

-Syk-
02-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Both Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 were amazing.

Dominic
02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero. The trailer kicked ass and made me really excited to see the movie....too bad it turned out to be so pretentious, overly convoluted, and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. What I most enjoyed about the Bourne Supremecy was how amazingly frenetic and exciting the editing was! I think it made the movie. (I'm also an experienced film and video editor, so maybe knowing what it too to edit the movie like that influences me.)

I also loved Hero. Funny how two people can see two films and come away with two completely different opinions!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ilya
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. What I most enjoyed about the Bourne Supremecy was how amazingly frenetic and exciting the editing was! I think it made the movie. (I'm also an experienced film and video editor, so maybe knowing what it too to edit the movie like that influences me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure was frenetic, but I found it more intrusive and aggravating than exciting...as a rule I don't like editing that calls so much attention to itself. I don't have your professional sympathy...I just don't care about the amount of work it took to give the movie that look; what I do care about is that the final product gives me a headache. My idea of a perfectly-edited action movie is Ronin.

Ogre
02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Halo 2

I have never played the campaign but I hear the it isnt very good and I watched somebody beat the game and the end was horrible.

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Road to Perdition - so much potential, but failed by being way too predictable.

The-Matador
02-21-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.

I thought Hero was one of the best 5 movies I have ever seen.

radek2166
02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Jack