PDA

View Full Version : 1st posted hand: Bet River on 4 to straight board?

luckyplayer
02-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Forgive me if this is an easy decision, but I'm a new player, and my only reading is WLLH. I do have poker tracker however.

CO is LPP.

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.01.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, BB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Should I have bet out the river here, or is it wise to check here in case I am beat?

TheHybrid144
02-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Raise preflop.

On the river, the check call is probably better since you have to be 66% sure you have the best hand here and will get called on your bet. By check/calling you may also induce a bluff, even though your opponenet is LPP.

topspin
02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Your preflop action appears screwed up. Assuming you are indeed UTG and acted before MP1, you should raise preflop. (As a side comment, you appear to be sitting at the world's tightest 0.01/0.02 table.)

The flop is nice; it's tempting to get fancy and check-raise the preflop raiser, but with just top pair and a lareg pot it's probably better to lead.

With no one having shown any aggression so far, the river is an easy bet. You're missing value if you routinely check these through.

luckyplayer
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
For some reason, my hand history is messed up. I did raise preflop. It does not show me doing anything before the MP raise, but I was the raiser. I'll try to figure out what is wrong, but I was the raised UTG.

gvibes
02-21-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, my hand history is messed up. I did raise preflop. It does not show me doing anything before the MP raise, but I was the raiser. I'll try to figure out what is wrong, but I was the raised UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, then you played the hand nicely (save for not betting the river).

LoaferGee12
02-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I would bet the river and fold to a raise. You lose the same amount of money when he has the straight but make more when he has A-rag, or some random pair.

NigelTufnel
02-21-2005, 03:04 PM
LoaferGee,
Is the fold to the hypothetical river raise from villain based on him being LPP? I would have a hard time folding for one additional bet in a 13.5BB pot. Would you call if he were a LAG?