PDA

View Full Version : AQo facing a raise

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm posting this hand from memory, so the details are a little fuzzy.

I'm playing the Stars $11 rebuy last night. It's down to roughly 200 players, and 135 get paid. I have 15,000 chips. Blinds are 1,000/2,000. There's an ante, but I forget how large.

A player from early position with 17,000 chips makes it 8,000 to go. This player has frequently made these kinds of raises with a stack <10xBB. Maybe he wants to leave himself at least some chips if the flop misses. It's folded to me in late middle position, where I have AQo. What's my play?

The 4xBB raise seems to indicate to me that villan has a decent hand, but that he doesn't really want action. Maybe something difficult to play after the flop like a middle pair or maybe AQ or AK that he is afraid will miss. I reason that I don't have any folding equity since villan has already committed half of his stack and that I'm not really a favorite against the range of hands that he might make this play with. I fold.

Everyone behind me folds, and villan wins the blinds and antes. He flashes his cards. I'll tell what they were in a follow-up.

How did I do? Is there a default play with AQo in these sorts of situations? AJ seems like an easy fold, and I'm sure I would have pushed with AK. I hesitate with AQ.

Does your play change earlier in the tournament when the stacks are deeper?

schwza
02-21-2005, 12:29 PM
you say he's been making smallish raises frequently. does that mean he's raising a lot or just that when he does he breaks the 10x rule?

if this guy is raising a lot, i push. but my default would be to fold here.

Poker Jon
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Tricky one this!

I think I urr on the side of folding, but only because recently, my calls with AQ seem to always find AK /images/graemlins/cool.gif

However, the way you play this hand I think is determined, by whether you want to WIN the tournament or whether you are happy to finish in the money.

I you want to WIN, then I think all in is the only option. If you want to money, then maybe folding is OK.

Also, I think it is important to know when the blinds are going to be rising. If it is in the next 2/3 mins, then I am all in, as the blinds are getting too big for my stack, and AQ is looking pretty here. If you have only just reached 1/2k, then it is more acceptable to pass and wiat for a better position.

I know I havent really answered the question in all of this but hopefully have given you some deciding factors towards what you should have done!

Jon

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you say he's been making smallish raises frequently. does that mean he's raising a lot or just that when he does he breaks the 10x rule?

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean he breaks the 10x rule. He has open raised a fair amount, but from steal positions. Not so much from early position.

Thanks.

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tricky one this!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm actually glad to hear you say this. I'm pretty new to tournament play, and I'm happy that at least one situation I find tricky isn't an easy fold or push. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I guess this is the AQ test for tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]
However, the way you play this hand I think is determined, by whether you want to WIN the tournament or whether you are happy to finish in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm tired of squeaking into the money. I want to WIN.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think it is important to know when the blinds are going to be rising.

[/ QUOTE ]
You know I didn't even consider this. Something new to think about!

[ QUOTE ]
I know I havent really answered the question in all of this but hopefully have given you some deciding factors towards what you should have done!

[/ QUOTE ]
No this was helpful. Thanks!

Sam

Damian UK
02-21-2005, 05:25 PM
well if you want to win and not just limp into the cash, then are you going to get a better chance to double up before the blinds knock you out waiting for a better hand?

you have to take chances sometimes to double up

tricky call as always with AQ!

Damian

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well if you want to win and not just limp into the cash, then are you going to get a better chance to double up before the blinds knock you out waiting for a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, OK, I want to win, but I'm also interested in what play is best in terms of $EV.

sammy_g
02-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Villan shows AKo.

Unfortunately, AQo is the best hand I see for the rest of the tourney. I end up busting out in 153rd (out of the money).