PDA

View Full Version : Tv company wants to make film about me and online poker. Advice please

The once and future king
02-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Just got off the phone with a TV producer that I had met socialy at a friends birthday dinner party. At said party I got the standard "so what do you do question?" I repled that I played poker full time on the internet. He was fascinated.

About a month passed and just now I got a phone call out of the blue from this Producer saying that he wants to try and commission a film about me and online poker. The guy is a serious player in his field. Conversation was quite hard as I just have had 48 hours of hardcore partying this weekend.

The only problem is that this would involve me qualifiying for the WSOP (This would provide the narrative.)

He is coming to my house tommorrow to film an hours worth of film to send off to BBC3.

Questions I have are:

1. How can I obtain a list of all sites currently running qualifiers to the WSOP?

2. Do you think a poker site would pay my entry to WSOP if they were to recieve consequant publicity associated with the film/documantary? What is the best way of going about sollicitating their interest?

3. This is the most important question. If I dont get support from a poker site. I will probably have to pay for my own sattlites. Yes it would be nice to get a film made about me and shown on National TV but I dont want to go broke playing loads of WSOP sats and ignoring my daily bread and butter grind. I could possibly get a fee of 500-1000 quid from the TV production company, whoopeee. I was maybe thinking of asking to get this fee as sat buy ins.

All opinions welcome.

cardcounter0
02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
A movie of a guy sitting at a computer terminal playing poker online would probably be some of the most exciting, action packed, gripping drama that has ever been captured on film.

Somebody tell your producer friend to lay off the coke.

The once and future king
02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Nah its not about me playing poker online. Its about the human angle of said process and the fact that there are people doing this for a living. It does also involve me going to the wsop.

Also as you know telling a tv producer to lay off the coke is a totally futile endevour.

tpir90036
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. How can I obtain a list of all sites currently running qualifiers to the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhh. Why don't you look on their web pages? I think the obvious answer is "all of them are."

Good luck,
-tpir

The once and future king
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Not true.

SmileyEH
02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I would tell the producer either to come up with 10k for you to play in the WSOP or enter into negotiations with a site to get you entry into the tournament. There is no way he will turn this down if he is serious about filming your story. $10k is a drop in the budget compared to production costs I would think.

-SmileyEH

Matt Flynn
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
The federal government's position is what you are doing is illegal. They would have to prove that and would likely lose. However, do you really want to stick a post-it note to your forehead with "Test Case" written on it? Not unless you are very rich and easily amused by 2-year court cases that will cost you 200K.

Matt

DanS
02-21-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The federal government's position is what you are doing is illegal. They would have to prove that and would likely lose. However, do you really want to stick a post-it note to your forehead with "Test Case" written on it? Not unless you are very rich and easily amused by 2-year court cases that will cost you 200K.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, he's British.

Dan

tpir90036
02-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Not true that you can't look on their web pages? I find that hard to believe.

CORed
02-22-2005, 01:21 PM
If you're going to be on camera while playing, you might have to put some clothes on.

Martin Aigner
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM
THE LAND OF THE FREE!

cwsiggy
02-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Similar to what an above poster said, at the very least, they should put up say 5k travel, lodging and food expenses, you could pay the rest. What the big deal? They get a piece of your winnings at WSOP etc.etc. Half the interest for anyone wanting to watch this movie is to either 1. See if you qualify via sats online (again, they should pay) but if not we're going to want to see how you do in the big show. And if we're going to be watching some guy sit at a computer screen all day, the producer better put a love interest into he pic so we can see some t/a!!!

smoore
02-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Your angle here is to get them to foot the bill for EVERYTHING but your actual entry fee (satellites). Hell, see if you can even get them to pay your internet access for the duration of the project. Have them feed you. Have them clothe you. Have them hire a maid service so your place looks better on TV or whatever. Just make sure you are the one paying for the entry so that they don't come back and say "those are our winnings, here's your actor's guild base rate." Alternatively, have a contract that specifically states where any winnings go.

pokerlistings.com is probably your best resource for finding WSOP satellites.

Before you sign anything and probably before you even enter into negotiations find yourself an agent who has good lawyers. Your newfound friend is probably thinking he can do some reality TV and not pay very much for the priviledge of barging into your life for a couple months.