PDA

View Full Version : River aggression...

chaz64
02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Just wanted to know if anyone here plays it differently. I was thinking that someone played king-rag and rivered two pair and I was still good.

Comments appreciated.

DeadManJay
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
That river bet is just weird IMO. I really can't see what the villain could be betting here except 44 or 22, I would think someone with another 9 would be raising the flop. I'm just calling this raise on the river.

topspin
02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
A read on villain's postflop aggression factor is important here. Against an unknown, I'm just calling the river raise. You've represented strength the whole way, so villain is unlikely to be raising unless he can beat trip nines mid kicker. (In future you should cut the action off after your 3-bet since it can be hard to filter out the fact that you were capped after.)

Based on experience I expect to see 44 here. People hate to fold baby pocket pairs on paired boards for some reason.

einbert
02-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I play it the same. The threebet on the river is close but your hand isn't really well-defined since you've simply been leading every round, so his raise doesn't mean too much. If you had say checkraised the turn and then got raised on the river, I would've just called.

IsaacW
02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you had say checkraised the turn and then got raised on the river, I would've just called.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like check/raising this turn unless there is an extremely aggressive player behind you that will bet everytime it is checked to him. No one has shown any strength in this hand except you so the likelihood that this gets checked through is higher than you'd like to go for a c/r.

That is crazy river action, 22 or 44 is possible.

einbert
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you had say checkraised the turn and then got raised on the river, I would've just called.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like check/raising this turn unless there is an extremely aggressive player behind you that will bet everytime it is checked to him. No one has shown any strength in this hand except you so the likelihood that this gets checked through is higher than you'd like to go for a c/r.

That is crazy river action, 22 or 44 is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a turn check/raise is bad, I was just pointing out that his hand is not well-defined due to how the hand played out. Bad players tend not to put you on a very strong hand when you lead each round, because they know the only way to play trips/a set/two pair is to slowplay it. Again it's close, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kx or AA or something dumb like that often here enough for a three-bet to be correct. Keep in mind most .5/1 players will only cap the river with pretty much the nuts, so a lot of the times he will be just called when he's behind. That means he only has to be ahead around 60% of the time for a three-bet to be profitable.

It's still quite a close decision.