PDA

View Full Version : Tournament report and some questions.

berz
02-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Hello!

I posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1743343 &Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=1743343&Search=true&where=&Name=14491&daterang e=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1743343) a few days ago about being invited to a six player tournament here in Sweden, where the winner would recieve a free trip and entry to this years WSOP. As it turned out, I won, for a full report read below.

The problem now is, I still don't know how to play nl and don't know how to play tournaments at a high level. I'm going to buy Harrington on holdem, and already got tpfap. What other books are important?
Also I plan on spending a lot of time on this and the mtt forum. Now I mostly play shorthanded fixed limit for my main income, I plan on keep doing this but also play lots of tournaments. Is sng:s even worth learning, or should I solely focus on mtt:s?
Also I'm thinking on playing a bit on some other site, since multipoker doesn't have many tournaments I suspect pokerstars should be my best choice, agreed?

Well now for the tournament report (OPTIONAL).

The six players consisted of me, 2 Swedish celebreties (one ex soccer pro and one musician) plus 3 other poker pros. At least two of the other pros played mainly tournaments and had done really well in other tournaments.

Everyone was dealt 5100 chips, and the game started with fixed limit with blinds of 50-100. I quickly realized that I had quite an edge playing fixed, saw lots of limping first in and other questionable plays. I believe most played to tight, with the exception of the tournament pro on my left who played way to loose, however he hit most of his hand and built up quite a lead.

The cards didn't went my way, and after an hour when the game was changed to NL i still had about 5k in chips. Only one player (the musician) was eliminated during the fixed limit.

Now the blinds were up to 200-400 and they escalated quickly. After a few orbits I found myself in the sb with A8s and only 2k left. Everyone had folded and I went all in. Got a call from the chipleader in the bb, but he had junk, noone hit and i doubled up.

A few hands later, the blinds on 300-600 I believe. The utg+1 player announced all in with his last 2k or so chips, everyone folded to me, I had AJs and put my 4k in. Much to my dismay the chipleader also called. First player had TT, chipleader had AQo. Things looked dark, but I found a J on the turn and got a nice pot, while eliminating an opponent.

The chipleader then managed to eliminate both the ex soccer pro and the other poker pro in a few hands and it was time for heads up. Iirc he had almost twice as many chips by now. The blinds was up to 500-1000. I found a KJo on the sb, raised to 2k before the flop. The flop came AT8, he checked I bet 2k and he probably sensed weakness by my small bet and checkraised all in and I had to fold. He then showed his unimproved 56o.
That was a mistake, he always showed his bluffs and most other hands to. Maybe he underestimated me, because he know I was an unexperienced nl player.

A few pots later I had J3 in the sb and completed. He checked. The flop came 336. He checked, I again made a small bet to trap him. He checkraised me and I announced all in. He called and I took it down, giving me a small chip lead.

Only 3 hands later, I got a magnum (44) from the dealer. I just completed in the sb, since he usually raised with any two when I complete. He raised me with more then half of his stack. I quickly announced all in and he had to call. He didn't hit with his Q7o and I won /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know I got quite lucky, but I also believe that some of my opponents did a few mistakes too. Maybe because they underestimated me, or because we had free drinks while playing and 3 of them drank quite a bit (I mostly drank coke, since I never play drunk).

I had one of the best nights of my life, and I'm really looking forward going to Las Vegas this summer. This has been quite a year for me so far, and I have this forum to thank for much.

Thank you.

berz

sng-sam
02-21-2005, 10:21 AM
congrats. Gl in vegas. Was this a freeroll. If not how much did you buy in 2k-ish?

Rick

lorinda
02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Congratulations /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pokerstars is definitely the way forward for this kind of venture.

You may also want to play some 5000 player freerolls to get used to surviving through a huge field of idiots, I suspect this will be closer to the mark than you might imagine this year.

Lori

berz
02-21-2005, 06:18 PM
This was free for me, or rather I payed so much rake that they decided they wanted to give something back /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrmodin
02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Congatulations!

I saw you eliminated both Thomas Brolin and Markoolio.

Keep up the good work and have fun in Vegas!!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif