PDA

View Full Version : Overpair versus 4 flush on board

ACW
02-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Playing 1/2 6 handed last night an interesting hand came up.
The opponent in question was an average player for this level - neither fish nor shark. He'd been playing LAG but had tightened up after I played back at him on a bluff and got lucky with the flop, then called him down with AK and hit the king on the river. He's peeved that I've got lucky a couple of times, but aware that I'm not an idiot.

I get KK (no heart) and raise preflop. Villain calls from big blind.
Flop 3 low two hearts. He check calls.
Turn heart queen. Check - bet - call.
River brings a fourth low heart. He checks.

Should I bet here to get a low heart to fold?
More general question, which hearts would you bet?

PSUinDC
02-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm thinking that since it got checked down, and his previous knowledge of you getting lucky, that you should definately bet. Fold to a raise, since you have dittly if he flushes.

onegymrat
02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi ACW,

Is he one to be able to laydown his hand on the river, or is he one to say, "What the heck, I call!"?

Not considering the above questions and generally speaking, if by chance he has a small heart, you cannot let him see the showdown for free. If he has a big heart, you would of heard about it on the turn. The only hands to really worry about are the medium hearts that were paired on the flop. Regardless, you must bet and give him a chance to fold.

If you viewed him as a player who would call down with any heart, the time to check was the turn and hope he checks it through again.

For your last question, I would bet any heart ten or higher.