PDA

View Full Version : flush draw turn decision

_bustedflush_
02-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Any thoughts on this hand would be great. My real question, though,is playing a flush draw when the turn is a blank. I often check-call, but then I'm completely transparent when I bet the river after my suit hits. What do you consider here?

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

TwoShedsJackson
02-21-2005, 08:47 AM
If you think MP2 may fold to your turn bet 1 in 5 times, it's worth doing, if the pot was bigger it might be worth doing as a semi-bluff as you have a strong draw and a gut shot to back it up.

However he's unlikely to have called that flop without at least some piece of it so I would be inclined to play it the same way you did.

Nick Royale
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I often check-call, but then I'm completely transparent when I bet the river after my suit hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't worry about being transparent when playing 0.10/0.20. I don't worry playing 1/2.

einbert
02-21-2005, 09:20 AM
At this level he's going to call your semibluff with any pair on that board, so I would just check and call and hope to hit your card. Bluffs and semibluffs are not profitable at this level, just play straightforward and you will beat your opponents.

flopwell
02-21-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At this level he's going to call your semibluff with any pair on that board, so I would just check and call and hope to hit your card. Bluffs and semibluffs are not profitable at this level, just play straightforward and you will beat your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is spot-on. repeat it in your mind several times each time you hit the nanos

Twitch1977
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I disagree, I think I would bet the turn. Yes he could call down with any piece of it, but it's a scary board, and he might easily decide to fold bottom pair.

Plus since he just called the flop I think it is unlikely that you'll get raised on the turn, so I would go ahead and bet, give him his chance to fold with little chance of getting raised.

Betting and getting raised will only cost you one extra bet, but sometimes your flush will come in and you'll win that bet back plus the pot, as well as occasionally he might lay it down and give you those pots as well. I think that will more then make up for the times he decides to raise you and you miss your flush.

T

memphis57
02-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm with Twitch, I would bet the turn, although if the pot were one BB smaller I would check/fold. The only reasons not to bet are (a) free card *but with opponent staying around and willing to bet the river against a 3-flush showing*, or (b) to avoid a raise.

Note, if you get a free card but if your opponent folds when you hit your flush, you haven't gained anything. You would have won the same amount if you had bet the turn and he folded, and one less than if you had bet the turn, he called, and then folded to your bet with a 3-flush showing. And this is going to be the case 95% of the time, I think. In other words, the only time you'll get a free card is when it's useless to you.

Also, until you check here, he doesn't know you're on a flush draw. Maybe he paired the Q or K and you betting here will make him think you have the A.

As for avoiding the raise, I too think he would have raised the flop if he's inclined to do this, except in the rare case when he has pocket 5s, or even rarer case where he guesses what you're doing. This will depend on your past play against him to some degree and your read. If there is no past with him, then you have to go with overall odds and I think the average player doesn't raise here when he didn't raise the flop. If you've caught him a couple times with a check-raise/re-raise when you held stronger hands, and/or recently had an Axs hand that you played out just like this after hitting an A, then you're pretty safe I think. If he's tricky and has chased you out of pots (or thinks he has) several times recently with surprise raises, then I would fear the raise and not bet.

As to this being too much thinking for nano-limits, I think that depends. Poster didn't give us any reads so I think we have to play it like we would if we didn't have any reads, which for me means to assume they know a little of what they are doing. I've dabbled down there a little and it seems to me there are a fair number of people, presumably young folks in school, who have a lot more poker saavy than they have money. However, if you do have a read that Villain is a non-thinking calling station or something similar, then I would go a long with check-calling the turn.