PDA

View Full Version : A difficult NL Omaha situation

donkeyradish
02-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Maybe this illustrates why NL Omaha isn't that popular.

I'd never sat down at a NL Omaha table before yesterday but a European poker site I occasionally play at has them. So anyway I thought it was worth a try. Anyway I've been there a few minutes and on the button I get

J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Two middle position players limp in and so I do as well.
The flop comes:

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Player MP1 who has $35 pushes it all in the middle.
Player MP2 who has $80 calls, leaving them $45

Its down to me to act and I have about $110 in front of me.

What an ugly situation, I have the temporary nuts but (my guess was) probably MP1 has them as well. I have no redraws to speak of. What to do now? Push it all in? Call and fold if the board pairs/3-flushes? Or fold, because a split pot is the best I can hope for anyway?

Rex Bluett
02-21-2005, 07:44 AM
I think thats a fold for the reasons you stated at best you split and if a pair or club comes you probably lose

donkeyradish
02-21-2005, 09:43 AM
My thought process was:

MP1 has the nut straight and MP2 has either the nut flush draw or KK. & one of them might have a draw to a higher straight. My hand is about as vulnerable as it could be.

But then I thought

There's about $75 in this pot and I have the nuts. If I go all in & MP2 misses his hand I'll only have to split part of the pot with MP1, the rest will be mine. If MP1 hits a better hand (but MP2 misses) it wouldn't be a disaster. I'd still get the side-pot with only me and MP2's chips in it.

And so, I moved all-in. Was this a gross mathematical misjudgement?

Stock Whiz
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Not a terrible judgement just not a good one.

donkeyradish
02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks to Rex & Stock for confirming what I suspected was a fairly bad decision. Sometimes you get a rush to the head.

Moral: I should stick to limit games until I can fold a nut hand.

MP2 did indeed have JT, worse than that, they had J /images/graemlins/club.gif and another low /images/graemlins/club.gif giving them a made straight with a weakish flush draw.

MP1 also had two /images/graemlins/club.gifs, the highest being K /images/graemlins/club.gif, I think they had a Q also, so, in other words, near-nut flush draw and top 2 pair.

The board didn't pair but river was 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. So MP2 took the whole pot. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Live and learn