PDA

View Full Version : Which Posters do you dislike?

thatpfunk
02-21-2005, 04:42 AM
I feel like starting fights, so... which posters do you dislike and why?

I suppose I should start...

-syk- Basically, he's a tool and thinks he's a helluva a lot cooler than he really is. Also he has a picture of TSC as his avatar for no real reason. I think in real life if i met him i'd throw a beer on him.

jakethebake- he's not my style and talks a lot of [censored] about gays, etc that make me think hes small minded.

Thatpfunk- he's a tool.

Michael Davis
02-21-2005, 04:45 AM
Sthief09- he should have been banned.

-Michael

nothumb
02-21-2005, 05:21 AM
I don't like when people use 'gay' as an insult. I know a lot of people don't think it's a big deal, but I really don't like it. I spend a lot of time trying to get the kids I work with to get out of that mindset because they are genuinely very homophobic.

Other than that, whoever I happen to butt heads with, really.

NT

cnfuzzd
02-21-2005, 05:26 AM
that brian guy is a real dick sometimes...

peace

john nickle

mike l.
02-21-2005, 05:33 AM
"jakethebake"

i hate that guy based on the fact he's afraid to get a vasectomy.

i also hate michael davis because he looks like he's 15, gabe because he abuses dealers, and clarkmeister because he's too laggy. and ja sucker cause his fro curls are tighter than mine.

radek2166
02-21-2005, 05:39 AM
I think that peace John Nickle is a phuckin tool /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BusterStacks
02-21-2005, 06:14 AM
homophobic means fear. I just have a general dislike. Don't get the two confused, please. Anyway, posters I don't like / think are idiots:

Tha-Matador
-Syk-
gabbyyyyy
Shillx
tyfromm
Will Magic
Kung Fu Sandwich
pshrek
Turning Stone Pro
istewart
noncomformist/[censored]

Posters who I think rule:

AncientPC
AngryCola
deacsoft
El Diablo
Patrick del Poker Grande
wacki

Matty
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
homophobic means fear. I just have a general dislike. Don't get the two confused, please.

[/ QUOTE ]Fear has more than one meaning, and homophobic does not just mean "fear".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fear
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=phobia

Homophobe.

peachy
02-21-2005, 06:37 AM
i hate peach...shes a stubborn, self absorbed, spoiled b word!

BusterStacks
02-21-2005, 06:42 AM
woot, good one. A phobia is still generally regarded as a fear, regardless of possible alternate meanings.

idiot.

jason brown
02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
http://www.twoplustwo.com/images/zee.gif

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peachy
02-21-2005, 06:56 AM
o and i totally hate evan and GoT

nothumb
02-21-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
homophobic means fear. I just have a general dislike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I don't like this either.

NT

Matty
02-21-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
woot, good one. A phobia is still generally regarded as a fear, regardless of possible alternate meanings.

idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, never mind that everyone is correct in using that term to describe you. Clearly they really meant what you thought they meant. The whole world thinks Republicans lock the car doors when a gay couple walks by.

It's such a ridiculous notion that I'm astounded people like you take time out of their day to fight the term "homophobe".

Are you afraid we think you're afraid you yourself might be gay? Is that what makes you jump?

BusterStacks
02-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Well dude, that is often the rhetoric you guys like to use, isn't it? And for the record, just because you can use the term homophobe in an accurate way does not mean I'm going to give credit to the general population of idiots that love to hurl this term my way.

Matty
02-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I don't question your sexuality. Gimme a hug.

BusterStacks
02-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Sure baby, I might grab your ass though. Hope you don't mind.

Reef
02-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I hate anyone who posts a bogus "PARTY RELOAD!" thread in the zoo

MelK
02-21-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate anyone who posts a bogus "PARTY RELOAD!" thread in the zoo

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA

Great Idea. I'll have to try that one. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dr. klopek
02-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Any jerk that:
1) makes a tasteless joke post out of something tragic
2) uses "you're an idiot" as a primary weapon in their debate arsenal.

thatpfunk
02-21-2005, 07:37 AM
good dr...
im looking for specifics... i want some hate to stem from this thread /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scotch78
02-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Naphand. If I can figure out how to reseal a Maker's Mark bottle, I'm going to poison the housewarming gift I'm about to send him.

Scott

dr. klopek
02-21-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
good dr...
im looking for specifics... i want some hate to stem from this thread /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

syk
tyfromm
willmagic
jstewart
non conformist

stabn
02-21-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Is cussing really _that_ bad?

Shoe
02-21-2005, 08:21 AM
The only person i hate is the hulkmeister for posting a stupid fake party reload thread.

Lazymeatball
02-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I'll go with DeamonDeac for all of his wacky pro-Eagles rhetoric, that he continues to this day.

And sometimes BrokenGlassCan gets annoying when he tries to turn an OOT thread into a political argument, and I'm pretty Conservative like him, but there's just a time and a place (ie. Politic forum)

-Syk-
02-21-2005, 09:47 AM
-BusterStacks
-Sponger15SB
-thatpfunk

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like when people use 'gay' as an insult. I know a lot of people don't think it's a big deal, but I really don't like it. I spend a lot of time trying to get the kids I work with to get out of that mindset because they are genuinely very homophobic.

Other than that, whoever I happen to butt heads with, really.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I say gay a lot. It's a bad habit. Of course I'm not actually referring to something as being homosexual, it's just another term for stupid or dumb.. or generally something to dislike.

And you're an idiot was never my primary weapon in an argument, friend. I'd say that and then give details/reasons for my conclusion.

Zeno
02-21-2005, 10:25 AM
These ones? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Top Five (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1406465&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1 406465&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=514&daterang e=1&newerval=&newertype=m&olderval=2&oldertype=m&b odyprev=#Post1406465)

-Zeno

On the more or less serious side, I would have to make things manageable by making a list of posters that I do like, which would be a very, very short list.

Le Misanthrope

Ray Zee
02-21-2005, 10:43 AM
since there are so many new faces here i havent had the time to get to hate them all yet.

but some of the old farts
everyone hates zeno- royal pain
fox has lost his way
m i hate cause he doesnt post so much anymore
i hate ray zee
i hate mason as he always makes fun of me
jason brown cause he put my picture up and won a tournament i thought i was going to win
hdpm-enough said about right wing nuts
eldiablo cause he is too popular

spamuell
02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Jack of Arcades - I once ironically used the term gay to make fun of myself and he called me immature or something, I don't quite remember. I always have to have someone on the forums I dislike though.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
youre all ghey.

MarkL444
02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
[censored]

pshreck
02-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Dont dislike anyone all the time, just dislike when posters make serious personal attacks out of the blue. It's the nature of the forum, as you can say whatever you want and nothing will ever matter. Thats why real world > forum. Why the F am I here?

spamuell
02-21-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont dislike anyone all the time, just dislike when posters make serious personal attacks out of the blue. It's the nature of the forum, as you can say whatever you want and nothing will ever matter. Thats why real world > forum. Why the F am I here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my occasionally being a jerk on the forums contributes a lot to my being very relaxed and prepared to aviod arguments even when the other person is clearly wrong in real life.

Or I'd like to think that.

istewart
02-21-2005, 12:15 PM
All those who are incorrect.

Freakin
02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I only hate people for the life of a thread they attacked me in... after that we're cool.

Oh, and I hate Buster for being such a conformist tool; he's always trying so hard to placate people.

Freakin

istewart
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I actually am a fan of Buster's posts, despite his proclaimed hatred of me.

Freakin
02-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Lol, I think "conformist" and "placate" would describe Busters polar opposite. I really don't hate anyone on here, cept gabbyyyyyyy.

Freakin

jar
02-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Syk, just because the TSC avatar really confuses me.
Peachy, because she's too lazy to type properly and her posts are really hard to read.
jakethebake, because he's a [censored].
Michael Davis, because either the joke is getting really old, or he actually believes the BS he spouts. (about being offended and all that rot)

David Sklansky, whenever he posts in the WPT forum starting idiotic flamewars. If he actually posts useful things about poker, he's one of the best.

andyfox
02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I may dislike some posts and political views, but I have been privileged to meet many 2+2ers (and to "meet" many electronically as well), and there is not one I don't like. Not one. I've had fairly extensive email correspondence with several on the politics forum who have viewpoints, on most issues, 180 degrees opposite from mine, and they're wonderful people.

Sponger15SB
02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, posters I don't like / think are idiots:

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

I think you forgot my name?

bholdr
02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
don't like:

dr wogga
felix neitzche
hack
jake the bake
tyfromm
sephus

though i suppose having posters that i don't like is what keeps this place interesting, and i don't REALLY dislike any of them. no big deal. ('cept tyfromm for starting the 'hottest 13 year old' thread and then defending that BS.). though jakethebake is a funny MF sometimes.

really like:

el diablo
cyrus
sup bro
the whole stud forum
and anybody with an alize avatar.

and why aren't I on anybody's 'dislike' list yet? C'MON! <sigh>

deacsoft
02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really like:and anybody with an alize avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it! I also have to give credit to Mayhap for being the most under-rated poster on the forum. And credit due to BusterStacks for making me blush. /images/graemlins/blush.gif There are a ton of others I like, but I just can't list them all. You know who you are anyway.

The only two that stand out in my mind as far as disliked goes are cardcounter0 (he seems to be getting a lot better though, but used to post the most worthless crap) and yeltzen (frequently found trolling in the Books/Publications forum).

theredwave
02-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Hack hasn't made a post in over a month after making over 1500 in about two months so I think he might have left. I guess partygirl annoys me the most and if we include former trolls the Gordon Bombay guy, and about 5-10 spammers that I have on my ignore list. Oh, and the bholdr guy is a real prick.

Jack of Arcades
02-21-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jack of Arcades - I once ironically used the term gay to make fun of myself and he called me immature or something, I don't quite remember. I always have to have someone on the forums I dislike though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure that was me? I just called you lame for something else on the playlist thread.

Edit: Looked it up. I just called you lame 'cause you were being a dick.

Anyway.

pshreck, Hulk Hogan, and jakethebake get on my nerves.

Edit 2: iestewart

mmbt0ne
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
challenger84. I don't even know if he posts anymore, but God was he annoying.

cnfuzzd
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
clearly i need to work harder on either impressing people or pissing them off...

peace

john nickle

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 03:31 PM
My patience is growing short with anyone who continues to insist that Everlong (and not Paranoid Android) is the best rock song of the last 10 years.

Gabe
02-21-2005, 03:31 PM
andy fox since he started smoking weed.

Sephus
02-21-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bholdr:

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus: you didnt need to start a new thread.

[/ QUOTE ]Why are you flaming me?

[/ QUOTE ]

bholdr, because he's a pussy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gamblor
02-21-2005, 03:37 PM

Doesn't he live in CA? I always thought weed was one of the major food groups out there.

Sponger15SB
02-21-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its medicinal?

From what I hear he is realllly old /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rushmore
02-21-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My patience is growing short with anyone who continues to insist that Everlong (and not Paranoid Android) is the best rock song of the last 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is neither of those two songs. It is Letdown.

So, do I qualify for your contempt then?

tdarko
02-21-2005, 03:46 PM
EazyMoeBee: only four posts but is at the top of my list, check the zoo for reference.

bholdr
02-21-2005, 03:48 PM
yes i deserved that, /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is neither of those two songs. It is Letdown.

So, do I qualify for your contempt then?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I will accept a number of Radiohead songs for this title.

Shajen
02-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Jake is cool in my book.

Allayall is just hatin his game.

(jealous cause he has hotties at the bar across the street, see?)

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake is cool in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I also don't understand the non-love for Jake. He's good in my book.

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jakethebake- he's not my style and talks a lot of [censored] about gays, etc that make me think hes small minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with not being liked, but I find this kind of a funny reason because I don't really dislike gays. I'm pretty much for people doing whetever they want. I do occasionally make a comment like: "You're clearly gay." But that's really because I think it will bother someone else, or else just kidding, not because I actually personally have problems with gays. Just clarifying.

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"jakethebake"

i hate that guy based on the fact he's afraid to get a vasectomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people take things I say on here way too seriously.

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really like:

el diablo
cyrus
sup bro
the whole stud forum

[/ QUOTE ]

You're clearly gay. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake is cool in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly this is just a forum full of squids that are jealous of us jarheads. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
02-21-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I say gay a lot. It's a bad habit. Of course I'm not actually referring to something as being homosexual, it's just another term for stupid or dumb.. or generally something to dislike.

[/ QUOTE ]

WillMagic
02-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Bummer. I'm hated by a person who also generally dislikes gays, which is about as rational as disliking all people with club feet.

In all seriousness, though, I think your dislike in regard to me is pretty rational...I said some nasty things about TSC that I shouldn't have and that I regret. I did apologize privately to TSC for that post, and I hope that you won't hold that one post against me.

Will

ThaSaltCracka
02-21-2005, 10:18 PM
yeah, I am coo with you now.

BusterStacks
02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Well I was not aware of that. My apologies. Game on.

nothumb
02-21-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you guys when you say this. It's one of those things that me telling you it's not cool is not going to change. I know probably aren't the type of guys who beat kids up in high school if you thought they were acting gay, or some nonsense like that. It's just that about 10% of the population winces every time they hear you say that, even if it's only internally. Yeah, you are probably cool with some gay guy named Steve at work and you call him a big faggot and it's all in good fun. But the vast majority of the time it's not.

Again, I really have no hope of changing this, I just don't like it. It's so rampant, it doesn't color my opinion as much as it used to. But it's just so 6th grade, and not particularly creative.

NT

pshreck
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you guys when you say this. It's one of those things that me telling you it's not cool is not going to change. I know probably aren't the type of guys who beat kids up in high school if you thought they were acting gay, or some nonsense like that. It's just that about 10% of the population winces every time they hear you say that, even if it's only internally. Yeah, you are probably cool with some gay guy named Steve at work and you call him a big faggot and it's all in good fun. But the vast majority of the time it's not.

Again, I really have no hope of changing this, I just don't like it. It's so rampant, it doesn't color my opinion as much as it used to. But it's just so 6th grade, and not particularly creative.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly the best argument Ive seen yet against using the 'gay' term casually. I agree wholeheartedly.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Besides... "lez" is the new "gay".

Matty
02-22-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just that about 10% of the population winces every time they hear you say that,

[/ QUOTE ]I'm part of that 10%. Every time I hear it I flash back to high school (when I, too, used to say it).

But then, my high school was in the KKK capital and my dad was a preacher, so I never even thought twice about it.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you are probably cool with some gay guy named Steve at work and you call him a big faggot and it's all in good fun. But the vast majority of the time it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. That's no fun at all. It's only fun to call people that aren't gay "gay". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I just find it kind of weird that anyone would be bothered by it, gay or not.

nothumb
02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I just find it kind of weird that anyone would be bothered by it, gay or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm really not trying to jump all over you about this. But you don't see how it might feel a tad degrading if every time someone sees something they think is lame, they use an adjective to describe a major part of your identity? As if a large part of them was innately lame or stupid or wrong as well?

NT

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm really not trying to jump all over you about this. But you don't see how it might feel a tad degrading if every time someone sees something they think is lame, they use an adjective to describe a major part of your identity? As if a large part of them was innately lame or stupid or wrong as well? NT

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone is that thin-skinned, they've got a lot bigger problems. I'd argue that only some that IS lame or stupid would worry about it. I'd guess the rest of the self-respecting gays could care less.

nothumb
02-22-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone is that thin-skinned, they've got a lot bigger problems. I'd argue that only some that IS lame or stupid would worry about it. I'd guess the rest of the self-respecting gays could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm sure a lot of self-respecting gays have had to develop very thick skin. But I'm also guessing nobody uses a term that is similarly applicable to you in such a derogatory way on a daily basis, or you might be able to see it a little better. When you hear it that often it is hard to shake off.

NT

[censored]
02-22-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm really not trying to jump all over you about this. But you don't see how it might feel a tad degrading if every time someone sees something they think is lame, they use an adjective to describe a major part of your identity? As if a large part of them was innately lame or stupid or wrong as well?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I never really thought of it like that. You make a good point and I will have to reconsider my use of gay.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Jake, you really need to read this a few times.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good post. Jake, you really need to read this a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I get his point. I just don't care to censor my speech to make the entire world happy. I don't drop N-bombs. I really can't remember the last time I used the term "[censored][/b]got". Maybe i WAS in the 6th grade. But I'm not going to stop saying something's gay because it causes a few thin-skinned people to wince (and I don't belive it's 10%). Sorry.

nothumb
02-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Okay, again, I didn't really expect anything to change (but thanks BTW to those who responded by saying they will consider this, that's all I'm asking).

I'll say to you what I say to my kids when they call things gay. Does the object you are criticizing involve two men making out? Does it involve lesbians fisting each other or dicks going into peoples' asses? No? Then why is it gay?

NT

EDIT: (The point of this post is that the use of this term in this way ONLY makes sense if you interpret it as being derogatory towards homosexuals. It is effectively the same as saying, "Oh, that's very Jewed out of you.")

AncientPC
02-22-2005, 01:05 AM
1) richf - life is rigged

2) Gabbbbyyyyyyyy - Party is rigged

3) Syk - plain annoying

4) theredpill to theredpill4 - everybody who doesn't agree with me is stupid

5) CinnamonWind / TheMatador - too many problems to list

6) people spamming "Party Reload Bonus" in the zoo, especially when they think they're funny for being the 10th person to do it within a week

7) idiots giving bad advice in mid / high stakes NL forum while playing micro limit NL

thatpfunk
02-22-2005, 03:14 AM
your responses here define why i dont like you much better than i could ever explain.

eric5148
02-22-2005, 03:23 AM
I dislike anyone who frequents the politics forum.

J.Brown
02-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Mr. Zee,

It is an imposter!!!!!

I am J.Brown on here.

this "other" Mr. Brown is not, in any way, shape, or form the one that you know and love.

I love that picture though......and I will try and win all the tournaments that we enter together from now until the end of time, so if you dislike me for that, so be it.

take care buddy. J.

p.s. i only read the posters i like, so most of you are in big big trouble, Zee....I have read every word you have ever written on here, so take that!

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Perhaps I should also stop calling my friends stupid because there are in fact satupid people that might be offended.

And I often call my friends, or even certain bad events, a bastard. I hope I don't offend actual bastards.

And gay people I know also call each other sissy. Maybe I should stop using that word.

And I suspect there are many people that know or suspect that they're wimps. I guess I'll stop using that word too. It might hurt their self-esteem.

And bitch. It might offend any female dogs that hear me say it.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Seems pretty silly to me.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
How do y'all feel about the thread a couple of weeks ago where basically half the forum came out saying they're like 6'2" and calling all short people midgets? Don't you think it might offend actual midgets? I'm short, but not a midget. And the thread didn't offend me at all. Did I get called shrimp, shorty, etc. in grade school? Yea, I did. But left any self-esteem issues I had about it there too. I suggest anyone that is affected by what strangers think about them, needs to spend more on what they think about themselves.

sthief09
02-22-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah he's a huge fuckhead. by the way I'll be in your shitty city soon

partygirluk
02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do y'all feel about the thread a couple of weeks ago where basically half the forum came out saying they're like 6'2" and calling all short people midgets? Don't you think it might offend actual midgets? I'm short, but not a midget. And the thread didn't offend me at all. Did I get called shrimp, shorty, etc. in grade school? Yea, I did. But left any self-esteem issues I had about it there too. I suggest anyone that is affected by what strangers think about them, needs to spend more on what they think about themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is lacking in logic in many places. People object to your use of the word "gay" not because they are gay, but rather because, out of all the possible derogatory wrods you could (and there are many), you repeatedly choose one that represents 10% of the population that has traditionally, and still does, suffer from persecution. A very short person is a midget. Someone who says something that you disagree with is not (necessarily) gay.

Sephus
02-22-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
choose one that represents 10% of the population

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the number of people who actually have (or have had) physical/romantic/whatever homosexual relationships just a small fraction of the 10% figure? i'm under the impression that the 10% number has been discredited many times over. i find it odd that it's still so common.

partygirluk
02-22-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the number of people who actually have (or have had) physical/romantic/whatever homosexual relationships just a small fraction of the 10% figure? i'm under the impression that the 10% number has been discredited many times over. i find it odd that it's still so common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moot point. But FWIW, in Thailand the number is much > 10%.

Sephus
02-22-2005, 08:57 AM
that it's a moot point is a moot point.

Bulldog
02-22-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch the Real World, so I know the real number is 1/7, or .142857 (which I just learned /images/graemlins/grin.gif ). But wait, there are two this season, and this is season 15, so 16/105 must be it!

Rushmore
02-22-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I get his point. I just don't care to censor my speech to make the entire world happy. I don't drop N-bombs. I really can't remember the last time I used the term "[censored]got". Maybe i WAS in the 6th grade. But I'm not going to stop saying something's gay because it causes a few thin-skinned people to wince (and I don't belive it's 10%). Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to interrupt or offend, but I must say (and this is coming from someone as far from PC as you can get) that if you were ever going to be convinced to change this habit, it would be now, when level-headed peers are calmly trying to show you a simple fact.

Nothumb made a great post that everyone here is suggesting you take to heart. There's nothing wrong with admitting you've maybe been wrong about something.

Not using the word fa ggot does not exempt you from being bigoted. In fact, you may want to consider exactly why you don't use that word, and then realize that you probably ought to stop with the whole "gay" thing for exactly the same reasons.

I have some lingering verbal habits of my own that I'm phasing out, not because they offend other people, but because they offend ME for making me sound ignorant.

Just trying to help.

Matty
02-22-2005, 10:05 AM
http://www.gallup.com/content/login.aspx?ci=6961

Personally I think it's more than 10% ( I read somewhere that current estimates were 10% gay, and 30% at least somewhat bi). But then, I was a bartender for a while, so maybe I overestimate.

spamuell
02-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Edit: Looked it up. I just called you lame 'cause you were being a dick.

I was being sort of dickish in my first post, it was a stupid question. But, I was mocking myself in my second post when I asked you what kind of answer that was, because obviously my question was stupid. But obviously that didn't come across, whatever.

crownjules
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just that about 10% of the population winces every time they hear you say that, even if it's only internally. Yeah, you are probably cool with some gay guy named Steve at work and you call him a big faggot and it's all in good fun. But the vast majority of the time it's not. NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this. I used to play online games a lot, especially first person shooters. You can't go more than two minutes without someone saying "Oh that was so gay." Gay is not a synonym for stupid. Of course, trying to correct the prepubescent population of said games only results in a chorus of "stfu"s coming your way. Unfortunately, as much as it grates me, I know that I have exclaimed "That's so gay" to myself in some situations. I guess I'm a product of the culture, but at least I mentally try and make an effort to curb myself.

Not to totally hijack the thread, I don't really hate anyone yet. Too new to the forums (making post-wise...I lurked for awhile).

astroglide
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dislike anyone who frequents the politics forum

[/ QUOTE ]

without looking i could probably say the same too

JackWilson
02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? You don't think gay people find it offensive? To hear people saying "this is so [censored] gay" as if the word "gay" perfectly describes just how stupid/revolting/[censored] up something is?

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your argument is lacking in logic in many places. People object to your use of the word "gay" not because they are gay, but rather because, out of all the possible derogatory wrods you could (and there are many), you repeatedly choose one that represents 10% of the population that has traditionally, and still does, suffer from persecution. A very short person is a midget. Someone who says something that you disagree with is not (necessarily) gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And in the aforementioned thread, people were using midget in a derrogatory manner which may offend actual midgets.

partygirluk
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And in the aforementioned thread, people wey manner, which may offend actual midgets.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your points is two wrongs = right ?

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone who says something that you disagree with is not (necessarily) gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't call people gay for disagreeing with things i say. Go read posts where i call people gay. It's because they said something that actually sounded gay.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? You don't think gay people find it offensive? To hear people saying "this is so [censored] gay" as if the word "gay" perfectly describes just how stupid/revolting/[censored] up something is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I find it very weird that people let silly things bother them.

partygirluk
02-22-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I find it very weird that people let silly things bother them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, now we see the root of the disagreement. Most people find implicitly classifying an innocent section of society as "stupid/revolting/fucked up" serious, whilst you think it is not.

JackWilson
02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Hehe, it's all so silly. What a silly world we live in.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to interrupt or offend, but I must say (and this is coming from someone as far from PC as you can get) that if you were ever going to be convinced to change this habit, it would be now, when level-headed peers are calmly trying to show you a simple fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. They're not stating facts. They're staing their opinions. I'm stating mine.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothumb made a great post that everyone here is suggesting you take to heart. There's nothing wrong with admitting you've maybe been wrong about something.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm wrong. I think people who make their own sense of self-esteem dependent on silly things like some stranger's use of the word "gay" are wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Not using the word fa ggot does not exempt you from being bigoted. In fact, you may want to consider exactly why you don't use that word, and then realize that you probably ought to stop with the whole "gay" thing for exactly the same reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't meant to be a statement about bigotry. And the use of any word is only as ugly as the sentiment behind it. I think the word fagg[/b]ot is probably typically used in an ugly way. I don't hate gay people. I've said before i think everyone should be free to do what they want. I'm very libertarian. Actually more libertarian than most libertarians. I just think we all need to learn to laugh at ourselves more. I think joking about others in a lighthearted way is fun. And if they can't accept that, it's not my place to try to make everyone happy. If they choose to be offended, and yes being offended is a choice, then they're free to do that too.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. And in the aforementioned thread, people wey manner, which may offend actual midgets.

[/ QUOTE ]
So your points is two wrongs = right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My point is I don't think people should care about either one. I don't really think anyone intended anything really ugly with the midget remarks. I don't intend anything really ugly with the word "gay" and people need to stop getting so worked up over it. If they won't, well i'm not here to solve anyone else's self-esteem issues.

Sponger15SB
02-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Jakethebake is like the stupid man's daryn

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aha, now we see the root of the disagreement. Most people find implicitly classifying an innocent section of society as "stupid/revolting/fucked up" serious, whilst you think it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never classified anything that way. I challenge you to find a post where I have. Regardless, yes, i think people that let things like this bother them are being silly in doing so.

JackWilson
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
There's a big difference between being able to laugh at yourself and being insulted.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a big difference between being able to laugh at yourself and being insulted.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) i really don't care if people insult me.
2) i've only called people here gay in a lighthearted way. never in an ugly, insultng one.
3) i only view it an insult if it's intended that way. you're going through complex iterations to get to your opinion that some gay people may offended because they think i'm indirectly insulting all gay people that don't even know me because i called someone here gay for drinking green tea.

JackWilson
02-22-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i only view it an insult if it's intended that way

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either a liar or a much better man than me.

Shajen
02-22-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks1.jpg

BreakEvenPlayer
02-22-2005, 04:26 PM
POTFD.

Al Terego
02-22-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like starting fights, so... which posters do you dislike and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who uses expressions like:

I'd crush it
I'd hit it

stabn
02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~gralexan/idhitit.jpg

Don't have me because i'd hit it; hate me because i'm beautiful.

jakethebake
02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who uses expressions like:
I'd crush it
I'd hit it

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Those suck. "I'd tap that" is much better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cnfuzzd
02-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Hum, remember i am completely apathetic about others peoples behavior, and also that i used to spell women w-o-m-y-n. Then i stopped trying to save the world...

Hey jake, instead of everyone saying gay, what if we all started saying "thats so jakethebake!" Then, a certain segment of 2+2ers would start to physical and mentally abuse people who were "jakethebake" Eventually, i good friend of yours, or maybe even you, either had the [censored] beat out of him, or was fired from a job, or even killed for being "jakethebake" How would that make you feel? Also, note that in your list of examples of calling people things like "stupid" or "wimps" or "bitches" you are replacing gay with terms that all have a derogatory connotation. Thats the problem with using the word "gay" in this manner, it implies that there is something wrong with acting in the described manner, and being gay is wrong, so therefore the person is acting "gay" This is *implicit* homophobia. Implicit discrimination is just as bad as the other kind, especially since the average person sanctioning implicit discrimination allows the more extreme segments of the population to better justify the more overt acts of discrimination, such as the beatings and what not. Im sure you have a couple of gay friends, or maybe not, but using this term in a derogatory manner is still promoting a bias. The same could be said of people who post hands and say things like "should i change into a skirt" or what not.

peace

john nickle

Rick Nebiolo
02-22-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its medicinal?

From what I hear he is realllly old /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Andy is my age.

~ Rick

KungFuSandwich
02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Wow, Im shocked that Im hated. Not because I dont think Im a idiot, I just didnt think anyone knew me.

~Futurama is above average at best. you never should have changed it from mega man. My avatar is waaaay cooler than yours.

Dead
02-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not hated by anyone... yet.

Hope it doesn't change, but this is an internet message board, so it probably will.

I probably don't post enough in OOT/politics to be hated by the residents of those forums yet.

theBruiser500
02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
jaketheblake and all the people in the NL forum with less than 100 posts.

thatpfunk
02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
How about referring to anyone you think is dumb as a "jarhead"... Is there any difference?

Actually there is, since the military is voluntary...
<font color="white"> im ready to get flamed for this, but i like and have a deep respect for the military, just making a point </font>

FeliciaLee
02-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey, doesn't anyone hate me anymore? I used to have a lot of stalkers/enemies on 2+2! Dangit, I must be losing my touch.

I have tons of enemies and burn bridges well in RL. I'm slipping!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boris
02-22-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have tons of enemies and burn bridges well in RL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you.

thatpfunk
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, doesn't anyone hate me anymore? I used to have a lot of stalkers/enemies on 2+2! Dangit, I must be losing my touch.

I have tons of enemies and burn bridges well in RL. I'm slipping!

Felicia

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda weird since you're articulate, honest, and pretty nice from what I've read...

Oh ya, some people don't like the first two characteristics... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

FeliciaLee
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda weird since you're articulate, honest, and pretty nice from what I've read...

[/ QUOTE ]
The first two, not the last. I think what is holding me back is that I don't flame on the Internet. I won't get into a flame war anymore (after ten years online, I'm not even tempted). If I could just be immature and stoop to their level, well then, I'd be mentioned lots of times in this thread /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Instead, I think I'm so much better than that, so much better than the pathetic, little flamers who have no lives...

Oops, babbling.

Maybe I should post my website below my name, since Mat took out the signature option. Just read my journal for a few weeks, then you'll see just how nasty I can be! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

[censored]
02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
How's Kurt doing these days? Is he going to catch on with a team this year?

Michael Emery
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm afraid I hate everyone on here that plays hold'em as opposed to seven card stud, as thats the real game. I also hate anyone on here that can play stud better than I can.

Mike Emery

FeliciaLee
02-22-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also hate anyone on here that can play stud better than I can.

[/ QUOTE ]
Woooohooooo, my first confirmed hater! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about referring to anyone you think is dumb as a "jarhead"... Is there any difference?

Actually there is, since the military is voluntary...
<font color="white"> im ready to get flamed for this, but i like and have a deep respect for the military, just making a point </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey jake, instead of everyone saying gay, what if we all started saying "thats so jakethebake!" Then, a certain segment of 2+2ers would start to physical and mentally abuse people who were "jakethebake" Eventually, i good friend of yours, or maybe even you, either had the [censored] beat out of him, or was fired from a job, or even killed for being "jakethebake" How would that make you feel? Also, note that in your list of examples of calling people things like "stupid" or "wimps" or "bitches" you are replacing gay with terms that all have a derogatory connotation. Thats the problem with using the word "gay" in this manner, it implies that there is something wrong with acting in the described manner, and being gay is wrong, so therefore the person is acting "gay" This is *implicit* homophobia. Implicit discrimination is just as bad as the other kind, especially since the average person sanctioning implicit discrimination allows the more extreme segments of the population to better justify the more overt acts of discrimination, such as the beatings and what not. Im sure you have a couple of gay friends, or maybe not, but using this term in a derogatory manner is still promoting a bias. The same could be said of people who post hands and say things like "should i change into a skirt" or what not.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

Rushmore
02-23-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. They're stating the FACT that this sort of thing offends people. Your OPINION is that it should not.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very libertarian. Actually more libertarian than most libertarians.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the libertarian contest that you seem to be winning, please bear in mind that one of the poster children of libertarianism, Ayn Rand, was the brainchild of Objectivism, which dictates in no uncertain terms that you accept the world as it is, and not as you wish it were, and then attempt to master it from there.

Acknowledging that people will be offended by certain words or mindsets would be a good start here, if you wish to maintain any credibility.

Don't do it for gay people, and don't do it for the ACLU; do it so that you'll have a chance at being heard next time you actually have something valuable to say.

partygirluk
02-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Nice post.

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. They're stating the FACT that this sort of thing offends people. Your OPINION is that it should not.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very libertarian. Actually more libertarian than most libertarians.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the libertarian contest that you seem to be winning, please bear in mind that one of the poster children of libertarianism, Ayn Rand, was the brainchild of Objectivism, which dictates in no uncertain terms that you accept the world as it is, and not as you wish it were, and then attempt to master it from there.

Acknowledging that people will be offended by certain words or mindsets would be a good start here, if you wish to maintain any credibility.

Don't do it for gay people, and don't do it for the ACLU; do it so that you'll have a chance at being heard next time you actually have something valuable to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back and read Rand. The Fountainhead would be a good start for you. A good bit of it is about not letting the silly sensitivities of others dictate your actions. We could debate this forever but it's kind of a waste of time.

Rushmore
02-23-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go back and read Rand. The Fountainhead would be a good start for you. A good bit of it is about not letting the silly sensitivities of others dictate your actions. We could debate this forever but it's kind of a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. The cornerstone of Objectivism is not to let others' silly sensitivities dictate your actions. In fact, I think this is the exact phrase she used.

It's all right here: http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=objectivism_intro

Aside from all of the rhetoric about "others' silly sensitivities," you might want to take partcular note of the following:

[ QUOTE ]
My philosophy, Objectivism, holds that:

Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man's feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fountainhead would be a good place for me to start.