PDA

View Full Version : $220 NLHE first WSOP Circuit event at Harrah's Rincon, kind of long

sdplayerb
02-21-2005, 02:30 AM
This is going to be the biggest tourney week of my life thus far. A $220, $330 and $1060 buyin events.

Today was the $220 WSOP Circuit event at Harrah’s Rincon here in SD. Obviously I didn’t make it all the way, or I wouldn’t be typing this now.

I had heard the early events in the first WSOP circuit event had terrible structures, fortunately not too much the case in SD.
800 chips, 40 minute rounds, start at 5-10, no real doubling until we go from 10-25 to 25-50 to 50-100 to 100 200 in levels 3-6, then it goes back to about 50%.
But decent play the first two rounds.

First more on Harrah’s Rincon. They just have a small room, and no tourneys, so this was a big jump, 630+ players.
But they really didn’t know what they were doing in many aspects:
1. Supersats were $30+10, yes they took 25%, terrible. And pretty badly run at that.
2. Had a NL cash game, $1-3, $100 buyin. That is unplayable.
3. Tourney was starting 15 minutes late, then they decided to introduce everybody while we just wanted to start. None of us cared.

Now to the tourney.

My table seemed decent, thought the two to my left were the best after me. The one to my left and I were talking. He was in from Louisville to play poker here and said he took 3rd in the PLHE $200 multirebuy or something for like $28K. He definitely knew what he was talking about in general..we never played a hand against each other. Only one other guy I deemed dangerous from past experience, but exploitable.
Also we were playing 11 handed. I do agree this was the right thing to do since there were alternates.
I also met my first GMILF ever.

Here are the hands I remember, am definitely up for discussing them..not saying all are worth discussing, but some are.

Hand 1: 5-10 around 800
A player that had already doubled up limped in early, I made it 50 to go from MP with AQ.
T9x flop, check check.
Ten on the turn, he bets 100 (he was pretty aggressive), I call.
Nothing on the river, he bets 300, I fold.
That sucked.

Hand 2: 5-15, still around 650.
I get JJ UTG, often I will flat call, but near 40x I raise to 50.
Folded to the BB, he looks at his cards twice and calls with his hands shaking a bit.
964r flop, I’m getting ready to bet 75, and then he bets 200 into a 105 flop, and has around 225 left.
WTF is going on here. If I push and he has me beat I am basically done. I start thinking for at least two minutes. I have played with him before and didn’t think he was all that good, thing is his terrible play may have me beat. I don’t see a set here. Only thing I am worried about is his slowplaying preflop, much due to his hands shaking, but don’t see him betting 200 with AA or KK, so I really am only worried about QQ.
After 2-3 minutes somebody asks how long I get, I say:
“I get one minute after somebody asks for a clock, and I recommend somebody does just that.” They all laugh and somebody calls the clock. 30 seconds in I pushin. He says he guesses he is going home early (he was an alternate) and calls with 87 for an open ended str draw (easy call at this point). No help for him, I am over 1K. phew.

One big stack was not very good and being ultra-aggressive. He’d overbet pots on bluffs. He looked like a good guy to take chips from. I bluffed him in one pot, then this one:

Hand 3: 10-25, around 1100, maybe 1200
He limps from early position, I call with T9. Kind of marginal, but I want to play against him.
Flop comes T86r. He bets 40. I call thinking he has JT or something like that..and if not, is very aggressive.
7 on the turn, bingo. 2nd nut straight.
He bets 200 (as I said, he over bets).
Now what to do. If I raise 300 or more, I’m already almost allin as I’d have like 500 left.
So I pushin after thinking for a bit.
He takes well over 2 minutes, I almost call the clock once to seem aggravated, at that time he almost called. He finally mucked KK face up. Damn.
In hindsight maybe I should have raised 300, but were still a few scare cards out there.

Go into the first break with 1,475 about to start 25-50. not a big stack, but above par.

Hand 4: 25-50, 1,475 chips
AQs UTG, make it 200 to go (I hate AQ early).
UTG+2 pushes in for around 500 total..i have to call. He has AT, terrible.
I win and am around 2,000.

I get aggressive now and do some steals to move to around 2,200.
The player from Hand 3 has busted and another guy has a lot of chips and is raising huge constantly, and often without a big holding. He overbets the pot on the bluffs, so I want to play him also.

Hand 5: 25-50 around 2,200
The agg player limps early, I limp late with 64.
A66 flop..that is just a great flop as somebody likely has an A.
SB who is very tight bets 150 (has around 450 left after) into the 200 pot, agg player looks about to raise then calls. I make it 650 to go thinking if one has a decent kicker he will think he has me outkicked. SB calls, agg player finally folds.
SB has A7, so I have him crushed.
Ace on the turn..crap.
I’d be over 3K now, I am around 1,500.

Then it gets odd, the agg player and another player both say they had an A. Somebody points out that is impossible as there would have to be 5 aces then, and has the dealer check the deck (no issue).
So I realize I just lost to a 1 outer as one of them did have an Ace. A 2 outer is bad enough, but one out really has me bitter as I could start running over people at the 50-100 level about to start.
I also joke around how I just lost to a 0 outer since two people had an ace.

Hand 6: 25-50, around 1,500.
I get KQ late, folded to me. Now my last four raises everybody folded.
I say I am steaming and bet 150. A new play calls from the cutoff leaving him with 250 (terrible play). After all else fold I announce I am allin in the dark.
98x flop or something like that, he calls after about 15 seconds with AT and wins.
He claims he knew I had crap or something like that. Maybe I shouldn’t had made the steaming comment or bet in the dark, but I think it all would have been the same from playing with him.

Have a hand in the BB then where fold to the SB, he limps, I pushin with A7, he folds.

Hand 7: 50-100, 1200 chips
Fold to be on the button, A8, I raise to 300.
Same guy that just beat me calls from the BB, I have him slightly covered. I think he has around the same hand as last time.
K9x flop. He checks. I don’t see him having a K, I pushin (really 900 is hardly playable).
He takes about two minutes, and finally calls with JJ. No help for me, I am down to 150.

He then says he probably should have pushed preflop..i said I agreed.
Then he says he wanted to get more chips out of me, I think I said something about what if an ace flopped.
He says I can say something when I catch him in chips. The guy I had been talking to tells him that is messed up, I have no chips and no he is going to give me [censored].
He apologizes and says he should have pushed in. I accept it, didn’t really care.
I thought he played both hands terribly.

Hand 8: 50-100, 150 chips
Nothing til I am the BB, no folding equity so no reason to push with crap before.
Get 75, same guy limps early, terrible. Agg guy calls, sb calls (they want me gone).
K75, with two hearts. Checked to me, I pushin (I could have actually just check also hoping for a big bet), call call, SB makes it 350 (sweet). Agg guy calls, I gather a flush draw.
Heart on the turn, crap. Check check..hmmm.
Heart on the river, that is definitely it. Agg guy had 44 with the heart, other guy mucks. What? He called 300 more with 3 overs. I would have been at 600.

I felt like I pretty much dominated the table and took one terrible beat or who knows. Except for the first hand with AQ, I thought I played great and not sure if I did make a mistake except maybe pushing too hard with two big hands. Only the hand with the straight possibly cost me chips and I do think I should have just raised 300 more and committed him.

Hopefully the next two tourneys this week go better.

SD

Cland
02-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Yeah, sometimes people just get lucky.

I've gotten so many bad beats past couple weeks, and seemingly all with Ace/king lol.

That is interesting that you were disstatified with the way the tournies were run. I guess we get spoiled with online tournies always run on time with small rakes/take.

But I like playing live the few times I have done it I really enjoyed it. I'm a pretty easy going guy so starting late doesn't bother me much.

I liked your play btw, aggresive but it worked out and theres not much you could do about your bad beats, cards fall that way, even people who make bad plays get lucky some times /images/graemlins/smile.gif