PDA

View Full Version : PLO/8 tournaments: anyone play them?

spentrent
02-21-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm finding the PLO/8 $25 cash game to be Charmin soft. It is UNBELIEVABLE. I'm lead to wonder whether any of you NHLE tourney types play the Omaha tourneys, and if they are as soft as the cash games.... ?

Slim Pickens
02-21-2005, 12:38 AM
previous thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=otherp&Number=1572027&Foru m=f7&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1572027&Sea rch=true&where=bodysub&Name=25916&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1572027)

...not PLO, but I occasionally play a Party limit O8 tournament because

a) the gf likes O8
b) I can play while drinking without much degradation in play quality
c) they kill time

With the Party blind structure, it essentially the same as playing the lottery, but with a lower rake. Super soft... but it's a terrible way to make money since the average tourney takes over an hour to play.

skipperbob
02-21-2005, 11:55 AM
The beauty of PLO-8 tournaments is how powerful a "post & fold" strategy is....You give me the average chipcount with half the field gone, & I guarantee I can "P&F" into the $$$...Give me avg. chipcount, in the money,& I guarantee I can "P&F" to final table....Give me avg. chipcount at final table & I guarantee I can "P&F" to 2nd or 3rd place /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

skipperbob
02-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I once took 22nd place outa 120 players w/o playing a single hand

Irieguy
02-21-2005, 01:38 PM
When PLO-8 first appeared about a year and a half ago on party, I started playing the $25 and $50 game. There was usually only 1 game going, and it was softer than anything I'd ever seen.

I took about 2K from it in 2 weeks and a guy named LordHutty also seemed to be killing it. The game died. It was resurrected about 6 months later, but I had already moved onto SNGs.

I played PLO-8 SNGs exclusively for several months back in the days when I was only playing 1 or 2 tables at a time. The game is easily beatable for 25-35% ROI, but you can't play multiple tables because there aren't enough games, and they take longer than NL SNGs.

So, the bottom line is that PLO-8 is very beatable, but a better hourly rate can be earned playing other games.

I still play PLO-8 multis frequently, and a modestly skilled player can earn a 100% ROI in those things. But again, even a 200% ROI will translate into an hourly rate lower than what you can make playing NL SNGs.

Irieguy