PDA

View Full Version : Odds this is is a Trojan?

AtticusFinch
02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
I'd say 100%: http://www.spyatpoker.com/

I received chat spam for it in a tourney today: "Are your opponents using our software to cheat? You bet they are!!!"

This must be the program people have been mentioning that claims to view opponents' hole cards. I wouldn't be suprised if it actually transmitted your cards to a server, and allowed you to view the cards of other customers (and vice versa). Of course the authors can see everyone's cards without having to expose theirs.

The absolutely no refunds policy is the best part. "To protect us from consumer fraud," they say. Right.

Has anyone heard anything more about this?

Allinlife
02-21-2005, 01:07 AM
no offence, but does it really matter? not like any of us are going to use it.

ChrisV
02-21-2005, 01:42 AM
No, it isn't a trojan. Nothing so sophisticated.

This is from the front page of the site:

[ QUOTE ]
Special tracking software that allows you to view and track the hands of every opponent at your e-poker table. Spy at Poker v6.0 gives you the definitive edge at any online poker table on the web. Our program is completely undetectable. Spy at Poker v6.0 is the only software program on the internet that allows you to monitor your opponents hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What important qualifier is missing from the part about being able to see your opponents' hands?

Answer: It doesn't say you can see them while the hand is in progress. In other words, this will just be a cheap pokertracker knockoff. I saw a similar site a month or two ago where they were more upfront about the fact that you see the hands AFTER the hand finishes (it was in the FAQ) but they must have decided that was hurting sales.

The part about being the only software on the internet that does it is just an outright lie, as is the part about being featured in the NYT etc, I suspect.

DRD66
02-21-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Special tracking software that allows you to track the hand of every opponent at your e-poker table! Spy at Poker v6.0 gives you the definitive edge at any online poker table on the web! They won't know what hit 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is from the "package details" page of the same site. Note the omission of "view" in the blurb this time. I think you're right - PT ripoff.
I quick searched NY Times and USA today, no hits. Not spending the $ for a nexis search.
Did find a $50 download on CNET called Poker Spy which is also a PT-type prog. I'll stick with the software I have, thanks.

eastbay
02-21-2005, 04:18 AM
My favorite part is the "V6.0" bit. Yeah, you guys have released five other versions. Ooookay.

6.0 has become the sort of "magic version number" that people use to make their software look mature. You even see this in legitimate retail software. Customer: "which one of these is better? Oh, this one's only v2.2 and this is one is v6.1. v6.1 must be better!" Goofy.

eastbay

Daliman
02-21-2005, 04:32 AM
As I've said elsewhere. If you made a program you could make thousands of dollars a day with little to no risk or effort, why exactly would you sell it for $40 or so?

This is part of the reason why I am holding off on writing a SNG book or making a SNG video.

SuitedPair
02-21-2005, 09:51 AM
FYI, Nexis search on "Spy at Poker" turned up nothing (past two years). Don't worry I didn't have to pay, I have unlimited use.