PDA

View Full Version : Help me out computer guys(Network Question) (X Post)

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I have recently joined the ranks of the wireless. I got a Belkin router tonight and am surfing from bed on my laptop. I also have a desktop that is connected phyiscally through the router. This is amazingly convenient and I played my first hand of poker from the bathroom earlier.

I've encountered a problem sharing however and have no idea how to proceed. I can access files that exist on the laptop from the desktop, but not the reverse. When I try to view workgroup computers from the laptop, I get:

Quote:
... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found

I have exhausted all things I can think of from here(including an archive search.)

Suggestions?

stabn
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Operating systems on both computers are needed for you to get any sort of reasonable response.

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 12:04 AM
XP on both.

~Thanks

Leo99
02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Did you set "shares" up for your directories? You have to allow permissions for people on the network to view/read/write directories. Ensure the desktop directories you wish to access from the laptop are shared. Right click the directory and look for Sharing and Security. Click to allow the directory to be shared over the network.

FatMan
02-21-2005, 12:20 AM
You will want to be careful when setting up the shares. Since you are now wireless, others can access your network and you files when you share them. It would be worth inversting some time or money or beer to get a network guy/girl from work to come over and set up security for you.

TobDog
02-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Or read the manual, setting up security for your wireless router is fairly easy, set up a key, input into your notebook and any random person will not be able to access your broadcast, someone with "skills" probably will be able to, but unless you have made someone mad and out to get you, you are probably fine in that dept. too.

mikeyvegas
02-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Are you using the same account and name and passwords on both pcs.

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Did you set "shares" up for your directories? You have to allow permissions for people on the network to view/read/write directories. Ensure the desktop directories you wish to access from the laptop are shared. Right click the directory and look for Sharing and Security. Click to allow the directory to be shared over the network.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did this. I only want the shared documents folder to be available over the network and in properties I have checked the "share this folder on the network" box.

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You will want to be careful when setting up the shares. Since you are now wireless, others can access your network and you files when you share them. It would be worth inversting some time or money or beer to get a network guy/girl from work to come over and set up security for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am only sharing music files and some pokertracker databases. I have firewalls installed and there are some excellent posts on here about setting up security that I am using as a guide.

Also, you people are the network guy/girl from work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
unless you have made someone mad and out to get you, you are probably fine in that dept. too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drew out on a guys top set today and made him pretty upset...

Monkeyslacks
02-21-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you using the same account and name and passwords on both pcs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this is asking. I am the only one that uses the laptop and it doesn't have a password for use. The desktop is shared btwn my wife and I and we each have different desktops with passwords.