PDA

View Full Version : Could I have gotten away from this hand?

Bulldog
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Eight-player home tourney, $10K starting chips w/rebuys, level is 300/600 (last round for rebuys).

Stacks are 40000 for me, 60000 for chip leader, and several stacks between 4500 & 15000.

UTG (loose/wild) goes all in for 7800. I call with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. (This is the one spot I think I could've gotten off this hand, but this player typically has 2-3 rebuys and will make all-in moves with small pairs or total bluffs.) Short stack calls all-in for 4500. Chip leader, in the big blind, calls as well. Main pot of about 18000, side pot #1 of about 10000 more.

Flop is Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Chip leader goes all in. I call. Chip leader shows T /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Short stack has A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. No diamond for me and three of us are busted.

Somehow I ended up winning the whole thing after a rebuy, but I still am thinking about this hand. I think the pre-flop call was good, because I was way ahead of K7o and AQo was definitely better than the range of hands he could make the play with. After the flop, I'm looking at calling 32000 to win 60000 more, so even if the chip leader flopped a flush, or had KK, it wasn't a terrible play. OTOH, if I fold there, I have 30000 and a solid second place.

Thoughts?

MrMon
02-21-2005, 12:08 AM
You've got TPTK and the nut flush draw. Even if you had figured out someone had a set, you're still close to getting the correct odds. Very, very hard to walk away.

About the only way you would have stood a chance to walk away was to have a standing rule about not playing all-in scrums, especially when all your chips are on the line. Even then, this is a tough one to walk away from, as I would be strongly tempted to make an exception.

Allinlife
02-21-2005, 01:41 AM
with TPTK and not flush draw incase you are behind, there is no way you can fold here.

but preflop, that is a debatable call. there are too many stacks behind you to merely call here and then face a situation when you get raised. you are in no hurry to win those chips since blinds are only 300/600, I'd strongly consider folding, if not, I'd raise allin so you can get it headsup. calling is just so awful because you are out of position through out 3 betting rounds with rather weak holding.