PDA

View Full Version : how many bets do you put in on the river here?

mostsmooth
02-20-2005, 06:37 PM
details are a little fuzzy, but the important stuff is there i guess
i believe i did what i should have on the end, but now im wondering if i was stupid and cost myself money in a fairly obvious position
i raise preflop LP with QQ
4 or 5 see flop including villain who is very loose and is fairly aggressive with marginal hands (he overvalues a lot of hands)
flop 8A8, checked to him, he bets, im the only caller
turn is Q
we go 5 or 6 bets, with me putting in last raise
river is a 2
i was 99% sure he didnt have AA as he would have raised preflop almost definitely. 88 is a hand he would have only called my raise preflop, A8 is another and that i was hoping he had, or of course 8x which is even better for me (until after the river which makes 8x vs A8 moot of course), but probably less profitable
he bets river, i raise, he raises, i ....?

BusterStacks
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
... keep raising until he is out of money.

Reef
02-20-2005, 06:59 PM
raise indefinetaly

mmcd
02-20-2005, 07:14 PM
If he's a clown, I wouldn't stop, if not, 9ish sounds about right.

Freakin
02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise indefinetaly

[/ QUOTE ]

GuyOnTilt
02-20-2005, 07:58 PM
raise indefinetaly

This is the wrong answer. At some point, it's going to become more likely that you're beat than you're ahead. (It doesn't even have to become 50% because of the risk of a reraise.) I had a hand a long while back where I opened with T9s and got 3-bet by a solid CO who doesn't get out of line. The board was AKQ of my suit on the turn with a low offsuit and we were 8 or 9 bets before I backed off. At some point it's going to become more likely that the opponent made one wacky play on a cheap street with AA (PF) or 88 (flop) than him going an insane number of bets on the river with the 4th nuts against a PFR on that board.

GoT

JohnnyHumongous
02-22-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you lose a monster boat to quads a few times you won't be so capricious and confident about this situation. I have flopped a boat against quads twice in my life; the first time I lost a bundle, the second I did not because I smelled it and I had the experience of being burned this way before. Putting in bet after bet after bet with the 3rd nut is not smart poker.

sfer
02-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Once more.

EDIT: For those who don't play live, you are always beaten if you go to the felt.

pzhon
02-22-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting in bet after bet after bet with the 3rd nut is not smart poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on what you have seen your opponent do. I just put someone all-in in limit with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif on a J/images/graemlins/diamond.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif flop. It was about 15 bets. Why did I do that? I had just seen him put in about 20 bets on a flop with an OESD vs. a player with the second nut straight. In another hand, he put in about 8 bets on the river, losing to a straight on a paired board. He put in 7 bets with a J-high flush with a 4-flush on the board. There was a SF possible so his opponent chickened out with the nut flush.

Opponent (who capped preflop) showed KT, turn K, river 5. Opponent left the table. If I didn't get the money with AA, the next player with guts would have gotten the rest.

After your opponent has put in a lot of bets, your opponent either has the nuts or is a maniac. You may still feel you are ahead more than 50% of the time, which warrants raising until one of you is all-in.

BusterStacks
02-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Let me get this straight. You put someone on quads? Sounds like you are cooking up something weak.

mmcd
02-22-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you lose a monster boat to quads a few times you won't be so capricious and confident about this situation. I have flopped a boat against quads twice in my life; the first time I lost a bundle, the second I did not because I smelled it and I had the experience of being burned this way before. Putting in bet after bet after bet with the 3rd nut is not smart poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I stop at 9 instead of going 40.

Hallett
02-22-2005, 07:50 AM
At some point you have to put your opponent on a hand. Example:

I have AJ, and raise pre-flop. Suits are unimportant.
Opponent has A3 suited.

Flop is AAJ. I slowplay.
Turn is 3. We go to the felt. (10 bets? or so.)
River is irrelevant, as he has no more chips anyway.

On the turn there is only one hand in the entire deck that can beat him. AA is impossible, and he beats JJ. At some point, he has to realize that I know what I am doing, and every time he raises, I re-raise. I think if I was in his spot, knowing that there was a raise pre-flop, I would stop
after the 4th raise.

faith
02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's a clown, I wouldn't stop, if not, 9ish sounds about right

[/ QUOTE ]

9ish is fine so long as you fold to the 10th

-faith

bunky9590
02-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Well if you went 6 bets on the turn the river didnt change crapola.

after a 6 bet turn a 4 bet river looks to be about the max I would go.