PDA

View Full Version : Copyright and plagarism in the forums

KKbluff
02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I love what people have to say in these forums and i though i would make a collections of the most valuable posts. I am currently putting together a small poker website and i was wondering about what the rules are for using other peoples forums posts on my website. Do i need consent from the author or are they public since they have been freely posted?
thx for the help~!

Freakin
02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Need permission from the author. All posts are property of the poster. 2+2 does not own any of hte content. Just because something is public certainly does not mean it's free and clear.

Freakin

pshreck
02-20-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Need permission from the author. All posts are property of the poster. 2+2 does not own any of hte content. Just because something is public certainly does not mean it's free and clear.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? What I type on the internet, I automatically 'own'? I thought the posts were free for duplication and copying anywhere.

Broken Glass Can
02-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I think most people would be flattered if you asked for their permission to repost their work.

PM me if you need to know my reprint fee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Freakin
02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
You are allowed to claim copyright from the time the work is created in fixed form. So if you write a book, you can certified mail it to yourself and that will be enough of a record to claim copyright in any dispute. As soon as someone makes a post on these forums, it is tied to a time & date w/ an account they have control over. They can claim copyright and prevent others from publicly displaying it if they like.

Freakin

Hermlord
02-20-2005, 10:34 PM
From the ToS...

Copyrights to all posts on the 2+2 website are owned by the authors of the posts, and not by 2+2 or ConJelCo. If you want to reproduce a 2+2 website post in a publication or on another web site, please get permission from the author of the post.

razor
02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if you write a book, you can certified mail it to yourself and that will be enough of a record to claim copyright in any dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

This approach is flawed...

BottlesOf
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You agree that upon posting any material within a forum on the 2+2 website you grant 2+2 and its successors and assigns, a non-exclusive worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-revocable license under your copyrights or other intellectual property rights, if any, in such material to distribute, display, and reproduce such material to other readers of that forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from the terms and conditions..