PDA

View Full Version : Shortstack pushes, I...?

Yobz
02-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Very early on in a SnG tourney (I only play one of these a month...I'm no pro at these) when this happens

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t745)
Button (t830)
SB (t370)
Hero (t1535)
UTG (t1260)
UTG+1 (t1120)
MP1 (t1255)
MP2 (t885)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB pushes (330 more), Hero ...

I figure if anyone else calls then I've got the equity to call, but I have no reads on anyone...

AncientPC
02-20-2005, 04:55 PM
I call, your stack is bigger than everyone elses at this point so you can afford a gamble and it's not like it's going to cripple you if you lose the hand.

But I don't play SNGs, so take my advice with caution.

Ianco15
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Easy fold. Early on you want to be tight and preserve your chips for when the blinds raise and it becomes all in or fold time. SNGs are won and lost when the blinds are high on the bubble. Of course, you would like to build a large stack early on, but its not worth gambling too much early on to do so.

Ianco15
02-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I just saw that you are the big stack which is even more reason to fold. You have plenty of chips to wait for the bubble. Often I will see players build huge stacks and finish out of the money because they gamble in pots like these and throw away their chips.
Also, what would you do if someone else pushes after you call? You could end up gambling a huge amount of you chips on a draw.

Yobz
02-20-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, what would you do if someone else pushes after you call? You could end up gambling a huge amount of you chips on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I folded and then the next person went all in (flopped a set). Although I would have won with my flush, I know I can't be results oriented and its nice to see I made the right decision (that all in raise would have made me crap myself)