PDA

View Full Version : Advice please: I can't open-limp

pshabi
02-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I play Party 3/6. I feel like I may be costing myself a few bets/session, but I wanted some feedback here.

I'm a tight-aggressive player (who isn't?). I really hate opening a pot with a limp bet. My questions for you have to do with early - middle position.

Let's consider MP1. I know my actions should be based on the "texture" of the table, but how about some general reactions to these hands in these positions with no one in.

KJos - Do you open raise this hand in MP1 or pass or call?

A9 - A10os- I've been opening for raise in MP1, is this a poor play longterm?

How about "20" hands that are offsuit - J10, Q10, K10, etc?

AJos?

I tend to open for a raise in most of these situations, and I'm not doing as well as I would like. I think my post flop is solid in most cases. My basic question here is should I be limping or chucking these, or is the open-raise a good play assuming your average 3/6 table.

TripleH68
02-20-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KJos - Do you open raise this hand in MP1 or pass or call?

A9 - A10os- I've been opening for raise in MP1, is this a poor play longterm?

How about "20" hands that are offsuit - J10, Q10, K10, etc?

AJos?

I tend to open for a raise in most of these situations, and I'm not doing as well as I would like. I think my post flop is solid in most cases. My basic question here is should I be limping or chucking these, or is the open-raise a good play assuming your average 3/6 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This not necessarily advice, just how I usually play these...am I giving anything up here?

KJo muck.
A9o/ATo depends, AJo limp or raise.
JTo,QTo,KTo muck.

sthief09
02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
yeah, don't open limp in middle position. depending on your game, it could be right to muck or raise ATo or KJo. I'd need to be a little closer to raise QJo or KTo. QTo or JTo I'd have to be on the button. if these hands are suited, then I'll almost always raise them.

adamstewart
02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Let's consider MP1. ......

KJos - If I'm opening, I'll usually raise this coming in from MP's.

A9 - A10os- Muck A9. I open raise AT.

J10, Q10, K10 - All three of these hands are MUCKS from MP1 and MP2. Only play them from MP3, CO, and Button.

AJos -Open raise from even EP's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above are just GENERALLY what I do. Depending on table texture, my table image, etc, I may act differently.

Adam

mtdoak
02-20-2005, 01:35 PM
KJo- Muck city
A9o and A10o- Muck city.

Play these hands in position if you are going to play them. They are marginal offsuit holdings.

AJo I limp with UTG and raise with in MP, sometimes even UTG if its a loose table.

adamstewart
02-20-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KJo- Muck city
A9o and A10o- Muck city.

Play these hands in position if you are going to play them. They are marginal offsuit holdings.

AJo I limp with UTG and raise with in MP, sometimes even UTG if its a loose table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for discussion:

So you limp (or raise) AJo from EP, but you only play ATo from LP's?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Adam

bernie
02-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Since this is mostly about o/s hands, think of the dynamics of the hand. Do they play well multiway? No. Why then entice anyone to limp behind you? Raise and try and keep it shorthanded or maybe even steal.

Don't open limp with o/s in MP. It's raise or fold. Take the players behind you in account.

b

pyroponic
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
How about suited broadway? Open from any MP2+? How big a difference do you consider MP1 to be from MP3? What hands do you raise with an UTG limper? With an MP limper?

flair1239
02-28-2005, 10:54 AM
From MP1, I usually open raise KJo, AJo, and ATo. If I am in LP with these I will still raise if it can keep the pot short handed or I will limp if it is obviously going to be multi-way.

KTo, if I do play it from MP1 I will raise, again I am looking to keep the pot to 2-3 players including myself.

QJo, QTo, and JTo I usually muck these from MP1 unless I am at a tight table where it has been getting folded through often (save the table selection speech, I like playing these tables, I don't play 8 tables at a time, so I can actually pay enough attention to the tight tables too make money.).

I will open raise from LP with the above referenced hands. Occasionally I will 3-bet a CO blind steal (if the player is aggressive and has been steling a lot).

Otherwise I limp in with these from LP.

I don't play A9o at all unless I am isolating a loose player or defending a blind steal (or stealing the blinds).

As for defending the blinds with the above hands. If I feel the raise is legitamate I will usually muck. Against a steal, I am still cautious about QTo, QJo, and JTo. The Ace and King hands, I will usually 3-bet a steal.

pyroponic
02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
How about suited broadway from MP, how do you play these hands to say 1 limper and opening?

Absolution
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd raise or open with hands like QJs, KJs.