PDA

View Full Version : How to play dealt low pairs?

Arnfinn Madsen
02-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Any advice on how to play dealt low pairs preflop and postflop is appreciated.

Absolution
02-20-2005, 12:32 PM
There is no easy answer to that.

Generally, play them for set value so try and see multiway flops cheaply. Basically play them like suited connectors. Fold them from early position unless you have an unusually passive table. You can open with them from late position though. If you have a good read you can also play them for a 50/50 in the right situations.

For some persective, something like 9Ts will do better against a random hand than 22, but it's close. However, 22 will do better against a typical range of raising hands.

Elaboration
02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi Arnfinn,

Obviously a lot depends on the players you are playing against, what stage the tourney is at etc. In general though here are my guidelines.

Early in the tournament

At a passive table Early in the tournament I would play any pair from any position looking to hit a set. For me, 22-TT are played this way, but I will still play JJ for a raise to open, or if there are limpers in the pot. If you don't hit your set, but all undercards flop you definately should protect with 3/4-pot size bets depending on the texture of the flop.
At a more aggressive table the number of players in the pot and positional concerns are important.

If someone open raises and its folded to me:

Fold 22-66
Call 88-TT
Re-raise JJ

Raised and called:

Assuming both players have decent stacks I am inclined to call with good position. Implied odds are high here and you can pick up a big pot or double through if you hit.

Mid to Late Stages

99-TT go up in value and I'm raising and perhaps re-raising depneding on who and where the raise came from.

If the table is still passive you can try limps from ep. I probably cut it off at 55, but thats just a preference. At a tougher table you should get used to letting the smaller pairs go upfront. On the other hand, you can open raise from LP and follow up with a continuation bet on the flop.

The better your position and the presence or liklihood of multi-way action should dictate your willingness to get involved in an un-raised pot.

If a raised pot, a big consideration is how likely the raiser or other players are to play for their entire stack if you hit.

Post some hands and you will get more specific feedback, but these are some thoughts that came to mind.

Good luck,
E

Arnfinn Madsen
02-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks a lot! This forum rules!

JohnG
02-20-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on how to play dealt low pairs preflop and postflop is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much too general. Someone could write a book in answering your question fully.