PDA

View Full Version : Another use for KQo? How about capping preflop?

bernie
02-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Mucks 10-20. Usual great game.

UTG or UTG 3 openraises. I can't remember which position but this player would open raise from either with a wide range of hands. Even down to 67s.

Guy (we'll call him MP for ease) on his direct left 3 bets. He has done this nearly every time this guy has opened like this. Everyone has noticed and some comments are being made to the (new to the table) guy on my direct left that this is normal. He is clearly trying to isolate. I haven't had a decent enough hand to put a stop to it, or slow it down a bit yet. Until now.

1 fold, I cap. Someone mentions that though the other 2 are routine, my raise is the "first time that's happened." Guy on my left thinks a long time. He really wants to call. He groans how he can't call all that, I say, 'sure ya can.' He folds. He's a relatively predictable player here. But likes to play PPs. He most likely has that, but could also have some outs of mine. Maybe.

Now a hush kind of comes over the table as the guy on my left was pondering. Literally. Someone, as I put that bet in, said, "Ah, there you go!" To the players raising as if saying, 'now you're in for it.' Which may have something to do with my image to this person. Everyone's watching this hand a little more intently now. Game is on! Kinda weird how that happens.

Folded to initial raiser who carefully calls. MP looks like he got caught a little bit as if saying, 'uh huh huh. hmm. dammit.' and timidly calls, his wheels are turning. He will be treading carefully postflop.

Flop: A Q 7 r

Didn't like seeing the A on the board. Oh well, here we go. Checked to me, I bet, UTG calls carefully, not really showing a call down mode that I can detect. He could have a 7. I think I may have heard a bit more if he had an A. However, given my strong play preflop, plus the reaction to it by others, he may have a crap A.

MP thinks a bit, looks me over, nods a bit, then folds. Cool. I got it HU like I wanted.

Turn: small card that makes a b-door flush draw possible

UTG checks, I check. UTG makes an expression like 'Ahh, he doesn't have the A or could mean he thinks the flop missed me entirely.' This doesn't necesarily mean he has one. It means unless I improve, I've induced a bet and will have to call if he bets on the end.

River Q Makes flush possible.

UTG bets out, but not auto. I sensed a little hesitency. Doesn't matter, I improved so I raise him instantly and he bullet folds which actually kind of suprised me at how fast he drops. I don't remember seeing him fold that fast in that spot.

Anyways, I thought it was kind of a fun hand for KQo that we don't see too much.

b

private joker
02-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Ni han.

I'd still bet this turn, but I don't think a check is deadly. River raise is fine, and I've seen lots of insta-mucks like this -- it reveals they were clearly bluffing in hopes you'd fold for one bet on the river in a large pot. Idiots.

bernie
02-20-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd still bet this turn, but I don't think a check is deadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

based on his check, I figured there were many, many more hands I'd collect at least a bet on on the river (thinking he may bet out or call a bet if he checks) than he would call the turn bet with. (make sense? Not sure if I put that well.)

b

private joker
02-20-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd still bet this turn, but I don't think a check is deadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

based on his check, I figured there were many, many more hands I'd collect at least a bet on on the river (thinking he may bet out or call a bet if he checks) than he would call the turn bet with. (make sense? Not sure if I put that well.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. You think he'll fold to the turn bet, so you induce a river bluff. Nice idea, but it gains you one bet and risks the pot (if the free card you give happens to hit one of his, say, 2-5 outs). What about the times he calls your turn and river bets? I'm not saying there's no merit to this line, but your KQo is not a totally invulnerable hand and the standard line is to value bet this turn. A check isn't deadly, like I say, but more often than not I'm just happy to bet and either take down a fairly large pot on the turn or get called and take down a fairly large pot on the river.

bernie
02-20-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the times he calls your turn and river bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I likely was only going to get 1 more bet out of him either way. He could've easily just call the turn bet and fold the river. but it could've also enticed him to call down.

One added benefit of this hand, the MP wasn't 3 betting hardly at all after this. He slowed waaaaay down. Which was also part of my goal of the hand (preflop-wise).

b

Nate tha' Great
02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
It seems to me that if betting the turn is close, I'd be a little bit more inclined than usual to bet because I'd rather not table my hand.

bernie
02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be a little bit more inclined than usual to bet because I'd rather not table my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? That was the furthest thing from my mind. I don't mind if they see that I 3 bet with KQo.

b

private joker
02-20-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind if they see that I 3 bet with KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You capped it.

LAGmaniac
02-20-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be a little bit more inclined than usual to bet because I'd rather not table my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? That was the furthest thing from my mind. I don't mind if they see that I 3 bet with KQo.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you outplayed MP in this hand because you correctly read that he was playing his position not his cards. The rest of the table knew what he was doing as well. When you table your hand the rest of the table will now know what you were doing and what you are capable of as well.

bernie
02-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't mind them seeing that I capped it here with KQo either. Sorry, i had a preflop 3 bet thread from midstakes on my mind.

b

bernie
02-20-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you table your hand the rest of the table will now know what you were doing and what you are capable of as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This still doesn't worry me about having to show my hand. To me, it actually could make it better for me if they do see it. Ill let them decide when Im doing this move. Which, btw, is rare that it comes up like this.

b