PDA

View Full Version : How Unfunny is Maddox Now?

Vince Young
02-20-2005, 04:13 AM
It's been pretty obvious for a while that he's lost his touch, but today he made it official.

Newest Page (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sideways)

-Syk-
02-20-2005, 04:29 AM
I agree, he's not funny anymore.

Rushmore
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
How's this: distinctly unfunny.

That about sums it up.

To be fair, it's tough to just keep rolling out top quality material (see: The Rolling Stones, Stanley Kubrick, and Robert DeNiro).

But this latest page is hard to read. Talk about becoming a caricature of one's self. He's trying way too hard.

Maybe he has developed a dope habit or something, and is just going through the motions between fixes.

David04
02-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Man, Maddox used to be really funny. That page sucks.

pshreck
02-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Send him an email telling him you think he sucks. He will take it very seriously.

David04
02-20-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Send him an email telling him you think he sucks. He will take it very seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha. :|

captZEEbo1
02-20-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

To be fair, it's tough to just keep rolling out top quality material (see: The Rolling Stones, Stanley Kubrick, and Robert DeNiro).

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is wrong with Kubrick? His last three movies were The Shining (really good), Full Metal Jacket (amazing), and Eyes Wide Shut...also very good IMO. Putting out a lifetime of amazing movies and finishing it with one arguably mediocre movie is nothing to be looked down upon. Martin Scorsese put Eyes Wide Shut in the top 10 of the 1990s, and Ebert also liked Eyes Wide Shut enough to give it 3.5 stars.

Rushmore
02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is wrong with Kubrick? His last three movies were The Shining (really good), Full Metal Jacket (amazing), and Eyes Wide Shut...also very good IMO. Putting out a lifetime of amazing movies and finishing it with one arguably mediocre movie is nothing to be looked down upon. Martin Scorsese put Eyes Wide Shut in the top 10 of the 1990s, and Ebert also liked Eyes Wide Shut enough to give it 3.5 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care who liked it, it was dreck.

And he was heavily involved in the catastrophic A.I., a film so abject and unwatchable I thought I might surely die in the process.

I also never felt that Full Metal Jacket was up to snuff for Kubrick.

pshreck
02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also never felt that Full Metal Jacket was up to snuff for Kubrick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting statement, I think many would say this movie was his best yet when it was made. Not up to snuff?

Rushmore
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting statement, I think many would say this movie was his best yet when it was made. Not up to snuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I undertand that a lot of people feel this way. I simply do not.

First of all, the first half of the movie (boot camp) is much more interesting than the second (WAR).

Then, the second half of the movie has some abysmal dialogue ("Only after you eat the peanuts out ma sheeit!", and that exotic places/kill the people cliche). PLUS the battle scenes aren't great. PLUS the sniper scene goes on way to long for very little payoff.

Don't get me wrong--it's a better movie than, uh, well, MOST, I imagine. It's just not in the same stratosphere as The Shining, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, or Lolita.

Sorry. That's just my opinion.

And my opinion is right.

jdl22
02-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Does he have any jokes other than "people are idiots who like popular stuff only because it's popular"? When that's the only joke you've got of course you're going to stop being funny.

Maybe he has other stuff but the few pages I've read were the same.

Richard Tanner
02-21-2005, 12:11 AM
You've about summed it up.

Cody

Rushmore
02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does he have any jokes other than "people are idiots who like popular stuff only because it's popular"? When that's the only joke you've got of course you're going to stop being funny.

Maybe he has other stuff but the few pages I've read were the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, let's be fair.

He excoriated some kindergartners for their artwork, too.

And many of his movie and music reviews aren't really as you described, either.

But otherwise, yeah, that's about it. <sigh>

shemp
02-21-2005, 03:14 AM
I don't know who Maddox is, and I didn't read much of that link. Let me say this about Sideways/Merlot/Pinot:

Sideways was amusing, the scene where he disses Merlot was funny, and I enjoyed hearing the author on NPR defend the joke with the assertion that Merlots were typically bland wines for a mass market.

So I enjoyed all those things, and I'm sure my palate is not nearly as educated as the author, but I think he's full of crap about Merlot specifically, and his raptures of Pinot Noir is rather typical wine snob talk -- from people who affect this as a pose because Cabs and Merlots are in many ways easier and so widely popular. It's a contrarianism thing.

I predicted when I saw the movie early in it's run that Pinot v. Merlot was going to become some new shibboleth.