PDA

View Full Version : non-nuts flush draw -- worth playing?

dfscott
02-20-2005, 03:13 AM
Is this just spewing chips, particularly considering my stack size? I had odds to call, but this isn't a limit game where I can just add more chips. Is this type of play profitable long-term or should I be folding these on the flop without a big overlay (or big stack)?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney (10+1), Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t520)
UTG (t590)
MP1 (t400)
MP2 (t2750)
CO (t1210)
Button (t1215)
SB (t1315)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t50</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t250) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

River: (t350) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: t350

boxedIn
02-20-2005, 03:36 AM
You should push that flop. More often than not, you will get a call from Qx, but the majority of time people won't hold Qx and most of the other time you'll get someone to fold 6x and, even if you don't get either of the two to fold, you have a good shot at doubling up. This is a clear push -- checking and calling is not playing aggressive enough. If you miss the flush draw, which you will 2 out of 3 times, you will be irreperable crippled. If you push, you will probably get called only 1 out of 3 times, and 1 out of those 3 times you'll win. The other two times you'll win that pot, which is nothing to whine about considering your stack size.

As the small stack, you want to take whatever you can get and if you can't get the pot, get yourself in a position to have a good shot at getting back in the thick of things. Don't check/call your way to oblivion.

MrMon
02-20-2005, 03:38 AM
When UTG came in with the min raise on the flop, you should have either folded or check raised. Calling gave you no info. Firing back for 150, or even pushing would probably have given you the pot.

I've noticed the min raise has become a very popular play lately. (Cloutier book anyone?) It's usually a sign of weakness, and if you find someone doing it a lot, you really do need to come back at them to get them to stop it. Sometimes it won't work, but I'm willing to bet in this situation that it would have. Besides, it's a semibluff, you've got a good number of outs.