PDA

View Full Version : Simple AK Hand 2

theBruiser500
02-19-2005, 11:02 PM
15/30 full game, button open raises I 3 bet in SB with AK he caps. Flop is 9d 4d 3h, I check/call, turn is 5d (i have no diamond), and check/fold. Seems he could have AK himself or could have opened with a weak hand like KJ or T9 or whatever and then capped for deception but on the turn the pot was 160 i think and i'd have to put up 60 to win 220, seems close but not worth it to call down...

Michael Davis
02-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I think you should have either played this hand harder and folded to continued aggression, or been prepared to calldown the whole way. The flush draw is barely a consideration here, there's way too high of a chance he's got unimproved high cards here. And even if he's got a decent pair you have a whole fistful of outs. I also think you're giving way too much credit for the preflop cap. I don't see a compelling reason, for example, not to play AJ the way your opponent has played his hand thus far.

-Michael

Steve Giufre
02-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Was this online or live? Pretty tough to give a good response without any player info or some backround but I would be careful about always giving up in these situations. There are plenty of players I would just check call down here. Online agaist an unknown I wouldnt fold. Live would just be completely player dependant, and I think you will find he'll be trying to run you over a lot less in this spot at this limit than a typical player will on the net. In a bigger live game I think this again will usually become a call down situation without any player info. Remember he doesnt have to give you credit for much of a hand just because you three bet a button raise from the SB. I would cap a lot more hands there than AK and 22-AA some of the time if I were him.

sublime
02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
bruiser-

unless the guy is really passive, i think the old check/call is the way to go.