PDA

View Full Version : Pocket nines against a large field

vhuntd
02-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Was wondering about this hand.

live 3/6 game - pretty tight table, most are weak tight but there are a couple TAGS.

I'm in the cutoff with 99. 5 people limp and it gets to me. I raise - both blinds call plus the 5 limpers (16 SB)

FLOP: 4 7 8 rainbow

checked to me and i bet, all call (12 BB)

TURN: 4 7 8 8 two diamonds

checked to me and I bet ...3 people call and then it gets checkraised by a weak passive player. It comes back with 18 big bets in the pot and I expect the other three players to call so I expect to be getting 21-1 on my call. I call and so do the other 3 (22 Big bets).

RIVER: 4 7 8 8 J

It gets checked to the guy who checkraised and he bets. I call and so does one other person. He shows 56.

Questions:
(1) I think that my preflop raise and turn bet were correct. Does anbody disagree?

(2) Should i have folded the river?

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

krishanleong
02-20-2005, 12:52 AM
It's hard to talk strategy about reads. Assuming your read was good, then yes fold the river. Passives don't cr a massive field on the turn without a hand that beats 99.

Krishan

vhuntd
02-20-2005, 01:01 AM
My thought was that with 25-1 there's always a chance that he misread his hand. It's happened a few times that i've seen people checkraise when they think that they have a straight or a flush but don't. The guy who called after him was a weak player who showd A7 for 8's and 7's.

krishanleong
02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
With a 25 BB pot, you can damn near justify calling with anything. That doesn't make it right though.

Krishan