PDA

View Full Version : Crazy B&M dealer's choice game - adjustments?

nolanfan34
02-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Crosspost from B&M...

So, I finally stopped today at a small card room nearby, that I've driven by a bunch of times, but never bothered to go into.

They had one game going (with blue $1 chips /images/graemlins/laugh.gif). The table was about 6 old guys (old being 70+), and a few other regulars. I watched a couple of hands, and it was very loose, pre and post flop. Just looks like a dream game.

Here's the thing.

The game encorporates like every possible strange rule that I have not played under before. Here's the structure:

- Dealer's choice, players deal game (never done that).
- You can choose between Omaha H/L, Tahoe H/L (wtf? Apparently it's like Omaha, with 3 cards), and Hold em H/L (double wtf).
- There are no blinds.
- The betting structure is $2 ante/bet PF, $3 on the flop, $4 on the turn, $5 on the river.
- No check-raises (triple wtf)

The game looks very juicy, but I have to admit, after I watched a few hands and left, all of the adjustments I would have to make for this structure made my head spin.

So, two things. First, if you've played in similar games before, what adjustments would you recommend?

Second, which game should I choose to deal when I'm on the button and dealing? Would it be more profitable to just deal hold'em at first, to make it seem like I'm not comfortable than the others? Or is one game better than the others for playing with position?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ChipFish
02-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I found a similar game near me, that I also thought was quite weird.
They were playing dealers choice, high/low games....
You were dealt 5 cards and could use any combination of board and hand cards to make your 5 card hand.

It was a very profitable night for me.
(The stakes were 5-10-20-40-50)
Usually 5-20-20-50 and 5-20-20-40

Basically make sure you have a decent starting hand and fold if you don't hit the flop.

Freakin
02-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Are those the only 3 options for games? I would definitely deal O8 on the button. I would be hoping to play O8 every hand (but thats not likely) Taho & HE8 just sound too weird, and the adjustment would be unnatural. At least O8 is a real game, and you can practice it off that table. Position, IMO, is quite important in O8, and with position and decent hand selection you should be able to crush those guys no problem. I don't think the table image you hope to create with your deception is worth the trouble.

Freakin

nolanfan34
02-20-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the table image you hope to create with your deception is worth the trouble.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with this after thinking about it. I always tend to give people more credit than I should for paying attention. I assume most people do, when, let's face it, they usually don't.

Evan
02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
This is Tommy's dream game. You shouldn't be playing anything from EP and you can call w/ all kinds of crap hands in LP because your implied odds are ginormous.

nolanfan34
02-20-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is Tommy's dream game. You shouldn't be playing anything from EP and you can call w/ all kinds of crap hands in LP because your implied odds are ginormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I agree. Now if I can just find a book on Hold'em High/Lo....

Evan
02-21-2005, 12:39 AM
I played this heads up a few times w/ a friend (edtost), but we played it in PL or NL w/ pretty deep stacks. Pretty stupid idea to be honest but the concpet is funny.

edtost
02-21-2005, 01:57 AM
if you can think of a stupid idea for a poker game, we've probably played it hu in one form or another....

...and pl silly games are the nuts.