PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage vs Dreamweaver

jokerthief
02-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Ok, I'm trying to get a website up and running and am deciding on what approach to take. I have zero HTML experience whatsoever. From what I have learned thus far, I see my options as being: 1. Do it the hard way with notepad 2. Use a template 3. Use a WYSIWYG program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. Actually it seem that #2 and #3 are somewhat linked being that the template I have in mind needs one of those programs.

As I have been perusing templates, I have been struck at how canned and crappy they look. Because of this I am leaning toward using Frontpage or Dreamweaver. I would appreciate some advice from people who know something about web design on what would be a better choice given the fact that I am a total n00b. I do plan on learning HTML thouroghly enough to eventually just use a text editor but for now I just want to get a working page up and running then build from there.

I would really appreciate thoughts, opinions, insights.

Thanx

4thstreetpete
02-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Dreamweaver hands down. However it's a lot faster if you do know html too. Dreamweaver is great but there were times when I did had to manually change the code because it was much faster to just edit the html code myself.

DocMartin
02-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Another vote for Dreamweaver. Used to use HoTMetaL but made the switch. It is fairly idiotproof and has more capabilities once you get better with html.

gasoltub
02-20-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm trying to get a website up and running and am deciding on what approach to take. I have zero HTML experience whatsoever. From what I have learned thus far, I see my options as being: 1. Do it the hard way with notepad 2. Use a template 3. Use a WYSIWYG program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. Actually it seem that #2 and #3 are somewhat linked being that the template I have in mind needs one of those programs.

As I have been perusing templates, I have been struck at how canned and crappy they look. Because of this I am leaning toward using Frontpage or Dreamweaver. I would appreciate some advice from people who know something about web design on what would be a better choice given the fact that I am a total n00b. <font color="red">I do plan on learning HTML thouroghly enough to eventually just use a text editor </font> but for now I just want to get a working page up and running then build from there.

I would really appreciate thoughts, opinions, insights.

Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend dreamweaver. And I would never recommend anyone to use a plain text editor instead of a visual tool. Sure, you should learn HTML so that you can edit it in code view but I think those people that proudly proclaim "I only use notepad" are plain and simply stupid.

Dangergirl
02-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Dreamweaver, unless you are a complete noob to web programming then FrontPage is easier to learn.

zerosum
02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Go with Dreamweaver. It's easy to learn and it has a huge amount of third-party books available to guide your development. FrontPage adds proprietary code that can cause problems with some browsers. Visit your local bookstore and spend some time reviewing Dreamwear books.

guitarhero14
02-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Dreamweaver, my Dad teaches it. Great program.

BugsBunny
02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Just add another vote for Dreamweaver. IMHO it's not even close.