PDA

View Full Version : search for GAP concept too fruitful

sng-sam
02-19-2005, 07:42 PM
once again I've attempted to search for the term "GAP" concept and got over 300 posts. None of which actually explain it. Please help.

Rick

microbet
02-19-2005, 07:44 PM
You need a better hand to call a bet than you need to make a bet.

That is, at least largely, because no one can fold to a call, but they can to a bet.

brizzypare
02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
As far as I know, gap concept is basically this:

You need better holdings to CALL an all-in/bet than you do to push/bet yourself.

How this is applied and how it relates to your game varies a lot, but a simple example is this: 10-handed, UTG raises. You're behind him, and look down at AJo. You fold. I'm sure you see how it sorta works now.

skipperbob
02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
There's a gap between those that know, those that think they know, and those that don't

sng-sam
02-19-2005, 08:29 PM
definetly like skipperbob's answer the best /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

too all others thanks. knew that rule already. Gap stands for what then?

SumZero
02-19-2005, 08:31 PM
GAP isn't an acronym. It just means that if you listed the hands from strongest to weakest there would be a point above which you'd raise and another point above which you'd call a raise. And there is a gap between these two points.

Bataglin
02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
gap: /gæp/ [C] 1 opening in a wall, hedge, etc. 2 distance: a ~of two miles/ten minutes. 3 pass between mountains. 4 something missing: ~s in one's knowledge.

AngelicPenguin
02-19-2005, 09:07 PM
FYI, I believe it was coined by Sklansky in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. There is a chapter called "The Gap Concept" (and it basically means what these other guys have said)