PDA

View Full Version : Raising 78s, 89s, 910s from the CO and the Button : What conditions?

Kaz The Original
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Raising 78s, 89s, 910s from the CO and the Button with limpers already in the pot : What conditions need apply for this to be +EV? It is a move I have never tried.

What are you doing if the flop blanks?

(the with limpers already in the pot was edited in)

Nate tha' Great
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising 78s, 89s, 910s from the CO and the Button : What conditions need apply for this to be +EV? It is a move I have never tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

* I have the Button.
* It's been folded to me.

That should suffice.

bobbyi
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising 78s, 89s, 910s from the CO and the Button : What conditions need apply for this to be +EV? It is a move I have never tried.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean you've never tried this behind limpers, right? If you've never open-raised 9Ts on the button, then you're probably slightly poorer now than you should be.

Kaz The Original
02-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Edited to make my question clear.

NMcNasty
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I would want about five or six limpers, and I wouldn't bet the flop unless its good for me. I won't raise with less limpers than that because I'm worried a reraise from the button or small blind might scare people away and damage my implied odds. Even though I don't raise myself with say three to four limpers for this reason, I'm hoping that just one other player left to act does.

Nate tha' Great
02-19-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would want about five or six limpers, and I wouldn't bet the flop unless its good for me. I won't raise with less limpers than that because I'm worried a reraise from the button or small blind might scare people away and damage my implied odds. Even though I don't raise myself with say three to four limpers for this reason, I'm hoping that just one other player left to act does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising say one or two limpers has some benefits, it's just different benefits than you get when you're raising four or five limpers. If you're raising one or two limpers, then you're setting up a continuation on the flop or maybe the turn which lets you win the pot without a showdown. For example if I raise limping hands of KJo and 55 with 98s on the Button and the flop is A73, I'm going to take it down pretty often, which is something I otherwise have no business doing. The raise may also make it easier to win the pot if you flop a pair since it gets the blinds out.

Once I get up to about four limpers then my raise probably gets fair share, and I can also oftentimes get a free card when I need it. I also don't mind playing a larger pot with these hands. Finally I may disguise my holding some if I'm lucky enough to flop very well.