PDA

View Full Version : USA out of World Championships.

Clarkmeister
09-05-2002, 11:31 PM
USA lost just now by 3 to Yugoslavia, eliminating the USA team from medal contention, and relegating them to at best a fifth place finish.

Disgusting.

Ryan_21
09-05-2002, 11:45 PM
Just saw the score scroll across the bottom of ESPN, what a bunch of bums. George Karl should go down in history as the worst coach of all time.

Ryan_21

adios
09-06-2002, 01:09 AM
Yugoslovia does have Peja and Vlade. There was a discussion on this forum about NBA players and their poor shooting fundamentals a few months ago. I don't think you can lay this one on Karl's doorstep. I couldn't find a box score of the games on the internet (link would be appreciated if anyone has one) but I'd bet Argentina and Yugoslovia shot much better than the USA did. I hate the NBA 3 pt line. I know the three point line is closer to the basket in the World Championship games.

M2d
09-06-2002, 02:17 AM
Yugoslavia shot 25/63 from the field, 10/17 from the 3-point line, 21/29 from the free throw line.
US shot 27/64, 9/23, 15/24

neither were stellar

09-06-2002, 09:05 AM
as one website said, now at least they can go back to fathering illegitimate children.

maybe this will spur the best nba players to play rather than the second team. but it is still a disgrace.

pat

adios
09-06-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the stats. Interesting I would have guessed that the USA outrebounded Yugoslovia and it appears that they did. Many more shots taken by the USA. Yugoslovia gets more free throws on less shots, shoots much better from behind the arc, and shoots a little better at the free throw line. Hmmm. To me it shows that team USA was relying much too heavily on 3 pt shooting and has problems creating intermediate range jump shots off the dribble. Could be wrong about that. How about the stats vs. Argentina?

Clarkmeister
09-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Yugoslavia outrebounded us by 10.

At least this game was close. Argentina blew us out of the building. Our problem isn't offence either, its defence and effort. When we actually tried to play D, we were dominant. Thats the truly embarassing part.

Its not that they shoot better than us. Its that they pass the ball and get open shots. And its much easier to get open shots when the other team isn't playing any defence.

Paul Talbot
09-06-2002, 05:11 PM
While I think it is embarassing, I also think it is good for basketball.

The level of competition world-wide is rising which should push the level of play higher. It means more good players in the NBA and college, it means international games that could actually be enetertaining to watch.

If you are a fan of basketball, it is immediately troubling, but in the long run it's great.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

09-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Perhaps these guys think they're so good they can win just by showing up. The rest of the world have improved skillwise so they have to play their A game all the time.