PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for overcalls here?

A_C_Slater
02-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Paradise 1-2 loose. ten handed

2 folds, hero calls with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 MP caller, 4 folds, SB calls, BB calls:

5 players--FLOP: J /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, hero raises, 2 folds, SB calls, BB reraises, hero calls, SB calls.

3 players turn---- 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, hero....?

Do I call or raise? I figure if I call then I can pick up an overcall and if the SB folds I can still raise the BB on the river.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

After I call BB bets again. Now do I raise and get the almost guaranteed call or still go for the SB's overcall?

Shillx
02-19-2005, 05:45 PM
The flop raise is pretty bad. We probably have the best ace in this spot so if someone folds A4 who cares. Yeah he might have chopping outs but he will be making a real bad flop call (for one bet). He would be putting money in our pocket with a call so why knock him out? It isn't likely that anyone has AK/AQ, so the only hand we would like to fold is AT. Go for overcalls on the flop.

Raise the turn.

Brad

A_C_Slater
02-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I didn't raise the flop to knock people out. I raised to get a free card on the turn. But I think you're right, keeping them in would be better.

Shillx
02-19-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise the flop to knock people out. I raised to get a free card on the turn. But I think you're right, keeping them in would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you go for a free card, you have to look at the flop texture. It is much easier to get a free card on a Q22 flop then a JJT flop. People are going to like this flop so you will get 3-bet more and bet into more on the turn.

Brad

yellowjack
02-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Call me weak-tight, but when in doubt with a situation like that where there are still other players contributing dead money (even if it were J66), I overcall even with the nut flush.

bear187
02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
How were you planning to get a free card if those two behind you didn't fold?